Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Acidic Juices in the BOIL, and pH Adjustment  (Read 167 times)

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Using Acidic Juices in the BOIL, and pH Adjustment
« on: April 09, 2024, 04:49:59 pm »
Hey all, I have a great couple of recipes that use a significant amount of pineapple juice at flameout, and while the beer is wonderful as brewed, I still want to know how adding the juice to the boil affects the pH, and if that should be considered when adjusting mash pH. I put total faith in Brun'water, and don't bother checking pH throughout the brew. I don't believe Brun'water acknowledges juices as a form of pH adjustment. Any help appreciated.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Using Acidic Juices in the BOIL, and pH Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 10:04:04 am »
You probably could get Bru’n Water to work with fruit juices, but the problem will be figuring out their acid species and strengths for use in the calculations. If you know the alkalinity of your water, you could probably backcalculate the acid information by monitoring pH vs juice additions using the Sparge Acidification sheet.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Using Acidic Juices in the BOIL, and pH Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 11:05:08 am »
You probably could get Bru’n Water to work with fruit juices, but the problem will be figuring out their acid species and strengths for use in the calculations. If you know the alkalinity of your water, you could probably backcalculate the acid information by monitoring pH vs juice additions using the Sparge Acidification sheet.
Thanks Martin!
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales