Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foie Gras in California  (Read 18604 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: Foie Gras in California
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 01:51:08 am »
yes, there is some silly stuff happening out here.  what you eat should be whatever you choose to eat.  also, light bulbs are being attacked(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/24/california-incandescent-l_n_813093.html).  this is a nation wide ban at some point and i just don't like cfls.  government should be fixing education and the bloated military/ridiculous wars.  sorry, i don't mean to be overtly political.

cheers.

ryan
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 05:40:14 am »
I think it says a lot about how far our species has progressed that we are so bored with what we eat that we must do this to make something tasty.

This ^^^^

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Foie Gras in California
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 07:16:53 am »
This type of food isn't needed, in my opinion. Maybe you can convince me otherwise. But appeals to tradition won't do that.

Technically, no animal-derived food is needed. I prefer to eat meat/eggs/dairy that was raised and processed as naturally and humanely as possible, ideally something that I have harvested from the wild myself. But in the end, animals ain't people. It's not for me to say what someone else can eat. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If its still being produced, then there is obviously demand for it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:20 am »

The criminals did something to deserve their punishment, the geese didn't.

I don't know, I've never met a goose that wasn't a complete jerk.  And if a human defecated like that in public, you'd better believe he'd be in for some punishment.  :D

Foie Gras seems to be one of those things that looks really shocking to humans, but isn't any different than fattening up a farm animal because of the way the goose's anatomy works.  Factory farming in general is questionable and kind of gross, and I think that is the bigger issue that needs to be addressed.  At the same time, as it has been said, animals aren't people, and while cruelty is unnecesary it is a contradiction to consider them innocent and lacking free will in an attempt to excuse the cruelty of nature while granting them humanity.  Deep down, the animal rights movement is really about ourselves (what isn't?) - the vestiges of animality are in every one of us, and if we can't respect animals it is much easier to dehumanize our fellow man.  Like any argument, things devolve into two extremes, where animals are either saints more deserving of help than humans (an animal is without sin, after all) or just another resource on the earth to be mined for industrial use.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 09:21:21 am »
Well put, Narvin. Agreed on all points, especially the crapping everywhere part ;) 

I've spent quite a bit of time practicing hitting Canada Goose-sized targets in my backyard from my deck with a bow. Too bad the bastards only show up the weeks before and after hunting season lol.
Eric B.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 09:50:39 am »
Like I said- it should be left up to the consumer. Grabbing the first pics you see off the Internet doesn't convince me that the birds are currently being treated unethically in their production.

If consumers don't want foie gras then the industry will fade. However, I see that this current phase in california legislation will probably increase the overall popularity of foie gras. All we have to do is look to prohibition to see the likely outcome.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »
Like I said- it should be left up to the consumer.

Like prostitution, right?  ;)  Sorry, but just because something is legal, doesn't make it moral. I step down.  Far be it from me to preach morality. ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:19:39 pm by redbeerman »
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:39 pm »
Like I said- it should be left up to the consumer.

Like prostitution, right?  ;)  Sorry, but just because something is legal, doesn't make it moral. I step down.  Far be it from me to preach morality. ;)

Far be it from anyone to preach morality AFAIC. Just because some people see something as immoral doesn't mean that it should necessarily be deemed illegal. Now I'll get off my soapbox and start searching for that "Libertarian" column on my ballot again - wish me luck lol.
Eric B.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 03:12:14 am »
Kenji sez:

"The Physiology of Foie: Why Foie Gras is Not Unethical"

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!