Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foie Gras in California  (Read 18672 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Foie Gras in California
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:56 pm »
As long as we have milk on the grocery shelf, there will be veal.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 05:54:14 am »
I'm paying $98.43 per pound foie gras at the local upscale market. Limited availability, but at least I will still be able to buy it here.

Sorry to say this but there must be some heads up some asses out in California to make this illegal. It should be up to the consumer.

:-O you're paying way too much. I can get an entire lobe (~750g) for 25 eur (in the restaurant supply store, anyway).
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:09 am »
I love foie gras.  One of my favourite treats although I don't have it very often.
I have no ethical issue with it.  Geese are built differently than you and I in that they do not have the same connection between the throat and windpipe that we do.  They are not tied down with tubes stuck down their throats.  The foie gras farms I've seen have far less bird density than chicken farms and the feeder inserts the tube down their throat, dumps in the food and takes it out and the bird walks away.  There are some very good foie gras producers in Quebec.

If you choose not to eat meat, that's your choice and I can respect, I just have a different opinion.
Euge, you should try this place.
http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/
check out the foie gras section on the menu.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:06 am »
Euge, you should try this place.
http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/
check out the foie gras section on the menu.

I'm not a huge foie gras fan (not for any reason other than I've tried it a few times and it really didn't do much for me), but "Poutine au foie gras" totally has my interest piqued. (As does the duck carpaccio and the bison tartare, but that's a bit off-topic)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 11:50:37 am »
I'm sure if the meat wasn't so mistakenly maligned it would be cheaper and more available locally. Let us not forget that none of the bird is wasted. The liver is most delicately flavored- no wonder people aren't bowled over by it when compared to the pig's liver, which is much better in my estimation.

Is the Au Pied Cochon the Montreal restaurant featured in the No Reservations episode? Everything foie gras! Decent prices.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 11:53:35 am »
That's the one. I'm going to Montreal in a couple of weeks and if we can find a sitter, my wife may come for an early anniversary trip and that's where we will be going.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:49 pm »
P.E.T.A.

People Eating Tasty Animals.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:10 am »
gmac, euge:
I own the PDC cookbook, and thus have a recipe for both duck in a can and poutine au foie gras. I can post 'em here when I get home tonight.
----

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Foie Gras in California
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 04:20:53 am »
"Poutine au foie gras" totally has my interest piqued.

Poutine au foie gras has been my only experience with foie gras.  I had it at Restaurant Tallent in Bloomington, Indiana.  Although the other courses were outstanding, I really didn't care for the texture of the foie gras—I think it's just too fatty for me.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Foie Gras in California
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 12:35:12 pm »
Here you go:

And

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
----

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
Thanks.  Had some great Poutine (sans fois gras) last week in Quebec.  Nothing better than cheese curds and gravy.  If I get there next month, I'll order this and try to post a picture.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 04:17:52 pm »
Thanks man, but those images are almost unreadable text-wise. A brighter light source might help the exposure time. I have to make a poutine soon.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »
I think it says a lot about how far our species has progressed that we are so bored with what we eat that we must do this to make something tasty.

Lab grown meat can't get here fast enough...

(I bet if livers grew on the outside that this sort of thing would have been artificially selected for centuries ago)
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Foie Gras in California
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 11:17:50 pm »
I think it says a lot about how far our species has progressed that we are so bored with what we eat that we must do this to make something tasty.

Lab grown meat can't get here fast enough...

(I bet if livers grew on the outside that this sort of thing would have been artificially selected for centuries ago)

Ducks and geese will do this themselves naturally, before winter and the big migrations. Foie has been around for more than 4,000 years, so this isn't exactly a new thing. Tapatalk won't let me copy and paste (wtf?) but on Wikipedia there's even a quote from our buddy Pliny the Elder describing the process.

It's already been stated elsewhere but gavage is the least of your ethical worries if you're eating battery-produced chickens for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
----

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 11:56:41 pm »
Ducks and geese will do this themselves naturally, before winter and the big migrations.
I really doubt that they hold their mouths open while they shove a tube down their own throat. If they did this naturally then there would be no need for us to do it to them.

Foie has been around for more than 4,000 years, so this isn't exactly a new thing. Tapatalk won't let me copy and paste (wtf?) but on Wikipedia there's even a quote from our buddy Pliny the Elder describing the process.
That's an appeal to tradition...means nothing to me. Pliny most likely had slaves and thought women should be subservient to men but that doesn't make it right. (even if he didn't, I only say that to explain appeal to tradition)

It's already been stated elsewhere but gavage is the least of your ethical worries if you're eating battery-produced chickens for dinner.
We aren't arguing chickens here. I didn't start a post complaining about legislation limiting how many chickens can be kept per square foot or something like that.

This type of food isn't needed, in my opinion. Maybe you can convince me otherwise. But appeals to tradition won't do that.
Intra cervisiam est deus.