Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Traditional Scotch Ale Recipe  (Read 9883 times)

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
Traditional Scotch Ale Recipe
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:55 am »
I've read in "Brewing Classic Styles" and "Scotch Ale" that traditional recipes for wee heavy are simply pale malt and roasted barley with much of the complex malt flavors arising purely from an extended (2+ hour) boil. I would like to try this, but I also don't want to make a flat tasting beer. Has any one tried the extended boil method with good results? Are there tips/tricks for producing a beer that a true Scotsman would enjoy?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Traditional Scotch Ale Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:20:09 am »
I've done it with an extended boil, but you can achieve the same thing in kess time by taking a gal. of first runnings and boiling it down to less than a pint, then adding it back to the kettle.  AFAIAC, the absolute, without a doubt best homebrew Scotch ale recipe is Skotrat's Traquair House clone recipe.  You can find it here, with the addition of chanterelle mushrooms.  Leave those out and you've got a killer Scotch ale.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/WeeShroomy
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:26:54 am »
Excellent, that recipe looks pretty nice. the mushrooms are intriguing addition. How long of a boil did it take before you achieved the desired result?

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »
I make a pretty mean Strong Scotch Ale with the long boil method, but Skorat's recipe is also a very, very good one.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:04:18 pm »
I have done very well with Scotch Ale in competition. I made my Scotch Ale recipe shortly after reading Ray Daniel's Deigning Great Beer. It is an excellent insight into the traditional brewing methods.
The long, vigorous boil promotes kettle carmelization, which you  want in a Scotch Ale. This can also be accomplished by boiling down a portion of the first runnings and adding them back to the main boil. I have never tasted the two methods side by side and would love to see the difference. Anybody ever compared the two methods?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011