Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: An Interesting Article in Today's Seattle Times  (Read 10513 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: An Interesting Article in Today's Seattle Times
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 10:23:58 am »
I think the AHA could publish a statement of support concerning the efforts of a group that is using legal channels to change the law around distilling.  I don't think it is an area the AHA should directly involved in.  This organization has done a tremendous job promoting the legal rights of Americans to brew beer and wine in their home. 

Currently distilling is illegal here in the states and an organization that is promoting a practice that is illegal is standing on awfully shaky legal ground.  I would hate to see the AHA targeted by Federal investigations due to this type of campaign.  I hope they continue to be very cautious on this topic as they have been invaluable to craft brewing community and will continue to be going forward.

I personally would like to see the laws change.  I will support legal efforts to make this happen.  I don't believe the AHA is the correct forum for this effort.  YMMV

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:20 pm »
It's like night following day...someone makes a comment about a weird yeast Distilling, someone else posts about the "human cultured" yeast AHA not being the forum....
    There fixed it for ya....haven't we talked all about this in a prior thread?
Turtles are so so kewl!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:00:58 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:40 am »
Currently distilling is illegal here in the states and an organization that is promoting a practice that is illegal is standing on awfully shaky legal ground.  I would hate to see the AHA targeted by Federal investigations due to this type of campaign.   I hope they continue to be very cautious on this topic as they have been invaluable to craft brewing community and will continue to be going forward.

Yes, let's hope we are not promoting a practice that is illegal, such as homebrewing, in states like Alabama and Mississippi!

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:57:33 pm »
I know a guy with a reflux still.  It is convertible to a pot still also.  Works good with a water based feed source.

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 02:33:17 pm »
Currently distilling is illegal here in the states and an organization that is promoting a practice that is illegal is standing on awfully shaky legal ground.  I would hate to see the AHA targeted by Federal investigations due to this type of campaign.   I hope they continue to be very cautious on this topic as they have been invaluable to craft brewing community and will continue to be going forward.

Yes, let's hope we are not promoting a practice that is illegal, such as homebrewing, in states like Alabama and Mississippi!

Sorry if my context was off a bit. 

My statement was aimed more at the article, which seems to encourage people to violate Federal law by running stills at home.  It wasn't my intention to say that an organization can't petition the state to get a law changed. 

Feel free to point how I'm mistaken if you'd like.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline punatic

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 04:04:58 pm »
I am all for an organization that promotes changing a law.  It is a fundamental part of how our governments work in the USA.

But, to effectively ban conversations about one activity because it is illegal, while promoting another activity that is illegal in some jurisdictions, seems hypocritical to me.  It's OK to talk about homebrewing in Alabama and Mississippi (wink wink), but don't you dare speak about home distilling.  It's illegal!  Well, so was homebrewing until the laws were changed thirty some-odd years ago.

As far as this being a homebrew only forum, I direct your attention to the multitude of non-homebrewing topics covered on this forum.   

Distilling begins with fermenting.  Whiskey is essentially distilled beer.  Distilling  has more to do with brewing than most of the topics discussed in the The Pub and All Things Food categories on this forum.

I'm not saying that we should teach people how to build and operate illegal stills at home.  But, I don't think we should be prohibited from discussing distilling laws, law makers and coordinating ideas about how to change the laws that prohibit home distilling.  There are a lot of like-minded people gathered here discussing the legal precursor steps of distilling already. 

Many of the brewing suppliers and brewers that are involved in craft brewing are also involved in craft distilling.  Why do you suppose that is?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:20 pm »
I think my biscuits are better now for my participation in the AHA. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 09:54:56 pm »
I bet you make them with spent grains.

AHA Life Member #33907