Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: % Rye?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline onebarrel

• 1st Kit
% Rye?
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:53:29 pm »
I love rye beer... my house ale has been an evolving recipe for a while and currently I have been trying to strip it
down a bit to make ingredients last a bit longer - less of everything.

I started out with about 22% rye in this beer with an OG of 1060 and 40 IBU. It's not a rye IPA, it was just meant to be my
house ale... UK pale ale malt, no color or crystal malt, Cascades and Nottingham yeast.

The latest batch was 9.5% rye with an OG of 1045 and 14 IBU of Cascades. Even thought it is a far cry from what I started
with it is still excellent house ale... even more drinkable than that first version.

Even at this small % of rye the flavor still shines thru with a spicy peppery taste.

What I need to know is how low can I go and still taste it?
From what I have read most of the info says that 10% will not be noticeable, but it is in my beer.

Is it more noticeable because there is no crystal in this recipe? Could it be a combination of the malts and yeast I am using?

I was just wondering if anybody else uses this small of a % in there beers and how they percieved it.

(BTW - I still love the high test version)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: % Rye?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:00:51 am »
What I need to know is how low can I go and still taste it?
From what I have read most of the info says that 10% will not be noticeable, but it is in my beer.

That's gonna be completely up to your own tastes.  For myself, I find that less than 15% isn't really noticeable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:16:55 am »
For what its worth, I had a fellow homebrewer share a beer he made from almost (if not) 100% rye.  He brewed the beer as an experiment using rice hulls and I think around 10% pils malt to aid a very sticky sparge.  The beer had a great rye flavor but was extremely viscous... almost gelatinous in mouthfeel.  It was a beer with a gumbo-like mouthfeel.  He said the sparge was horrible despite the rice hulls.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:40:45 am »
Rye is a nice addition to a brew. I experimented with it in almost all of my batches last year. Lends a spiciness even in a lower percentage for me. A bit gummy in the mash.

I think it really shines backing up the sweetness of Crystal malt.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:38:26 am by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:17:12 am »
I just made a batch with 25% rye, and the runnings were really slow, much slower than the last time I used rye and it was nearly 20%.  I also experimented by getting my sulfate to chloride ratio at 1.50ish hoping it will bring out more of the malt flavor.  It should be an interesting learning experiment since I've always brewed around a .77 to 1.06 ratio.

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:34:47 am »
the % figure seems pretty system-and taste-specific.  I did a beer with Denny's Wry Smile as a template - the grain bill was identical and about 30% Rye in that one. I'd zero issues lautering - no rice hulls or otherwise and it ran-off as fast as any other non-Rye beer I've done.  Personally, while the beer was solid, I'm pulling back on the Rye just a tad the next time around (brewing it again in another couple weeks).

I would like to try a 'Rye-Wine' for kicks at some point - maybe up to 40% Rye, British Pale making up the rest, and a mild, earthy hop.  Not sure which way to go with yeast.  Been reading up on Roggenbier too which I've only had once commercially, mmmm, Rye....

I'm just doing single-infusion mashes in a rectangular cooler with a stainless braid manifold, fwiw.