Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dealing with trub  (Read 15910 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
Re: Dealing with trub
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:14 am »
I just posted this in the wrong thread, need...more...coffee...

I was recently thinking of ordering one of these but the comments about it clogging easy gave me pause:

Here's the link: Fermenter Strainer
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 02:46:37 pm »
What form factor boil pots do people have?  I use a turkey fryer pot and hop pellets and never get a trub cone, and I also typically have a significant sludge layer to deal with.  I would bet that if I had a pot that was wider than it was tall I would have better luck with whirlpooling and forming a cone.  I've been considering what straining options I have as well.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 03:00:27 pm »
Yeah you know I've tried everything including pulling out wort with sanitized measuring cup and pouring over a paint strainer like fabric that will catch all pellet hops and most trub. We call them "grannies panties" b/c of the resulting sludge and having to constantly clean off the "panties" which is super obnoxious and borderline sanitary (hope that's appropriate for this blog). Lately we've given up on grannies, done a little whirlpool, let settle and just drain it out, sometimes with a lot of trub. My point is that I haven't tasted any difference especially in future use of the yeast cake. I think a fancy hop filter like http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html is maybe the only way to insure trub removal.

I don't believe that filter will work with an IC.  It needs hot wort to function, and will clog with cooled wort. 

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 03:12:39 pm »
I just posted this in the wrong thread, need...more...coffee...

I was recently thinking of ordering one of these but the comments about it clogging easy gave me pause:

Here's the link: Fermenter Strainer

http://www.pamperedchef.com/images/product/resized/2606_product.jpg
i use a collander that is extremely fine, got from pampered chef. i usually don't have much problems just pouring through it. part way through i sometimes will dump what collects but even then that is not often.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:14:47 pm by weithman5 »
Don AHA member

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 07:26:28 pm »
Anyone ever try cheesecloth? I generally do 3 gallon batches and just pour the whole thing through my carboy funnel that has a very fine mesh screen. The problem is that the screen becomes seriously clogged quick and it ends up taking forever to get all my wort into the fermenter. I was thinking of pouring through a strainer lined with cheesecloth in the future, but I'm not sure if that is either too fine or too coarse.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »
I use hop bags in the boil coup,ec with a false bottom in my boil kettle then I strain through a double mesh strainer going into the fermenter.  It isn't perfect, but it works pretty good.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"