Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Archer Farms - Raw Organic Wildflower Honey  (Read 15265 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Archer Farms - Raw Organic Wildflower Honey
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:18:22 pm »
I was just in my local Target and saw that their store-brand organic wildflower honey is on sale for #3.49/12oz (works out to $4.65/lb). I pay around $7 a pound for local wildflower honey, so this is a pretty decent price. Anyone ever use this for mead? Most of their Archer Farms products are pretty good, so I'm thinking of springing for some to try it out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Archer Farms - Raw Organic Wildflower Honey
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 02:14:03 am »
i pay ~$4 per lb for local raspberry, blackberry, and fireweed honey, the guy is less than a mile from my house.  Find a local apiary, you should be able to get honey cheaper than $7/lb.

I don't know the Archer Farms brand, but I would not buy honey from Target.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:28:14 am »
Organic honey?  Bees forage in up to a two mile radius from the hive.  That's over 4000 acres.  How do you certify that every nectar source within a two mile radius is organic?

I would not trust any honey labeled organic.  But that's just the beekeeper in me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:29:54 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:29:04 am »
Other than being certified organic, I doubt the Archer Farms has significant advantages over other mass-processed honey. In the mid-Atlantic here, $4/lb is reasonable if you're buying direct from the beekeeper. $7 is expensive unless you're buying it through a middleman (at a market). Actually, I'd say that's even expensive for a market. Shop around some.

You could try the Rhode Island Beekeepers Association
http://www.ribeekeeper.org/
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:29:44 am »
Organic honey?  Bees forage in up to a two mile radius from the hive.  That's over 2000 acres.  How do you certify that every nectar source within a two mile radius is organic?

I would not trust any honey labeled organic.  But that's just the beekeeper in me.

Also true - I'm pretty sure organic would just refer to the beekeeping practices.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline punatic

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:33:14 am »
So then as long as the hives are kept "organically" honey made from nectar from flowers sprayed with pesticides can be labeled organic. 

I don't think so.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:42:23 am »
i pay ~$4 per lb for local raspberry, blackberry, and fireweed honey, the guy is less than a mile from my house.  Find a local apiary, you should be able to get honey cheaper than $7/lb.
+1, At my local apairy, I'm paying $15 per 5 pounds for the speciality varieties (raspberry, blueberry, strawberry and orange blossom) when available and $12 per 5 pounds for the local wildflower honey.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:01:45 am »
So then as long as the hives are kept "organically" honey made from nectar from flowers sprayed with pesticides can be labeled organic. 

I don't think so.

I would imagine, and this is without any official backup, that the product itself would be tested on some periodic basis. however the 'organic' label has been somewhat watered down of late to include any product in which 60% of the ingredients are organic and the producer can show how it would have been too expensive or impossible to source the remaining 40% organically. Local is often better than organic and any situation where you can talk to the producer one to one is going to be your best bet.

+1 on contacting the local bee keeper association and finding someone who you can talk to.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:16:42 am »
I wouldn't trust Archer Farms, that brand was on the list of a recent test that labeled even the organic brand as not meeting the FDA guidelines for honey. Basically according the FDA, any product labelled honey must contain pollen and something like 77% of the major brands are ultra-filtered to the point where no pollen remains.

It's suspected that some manufacturers are doing this to use Chinese honey in their products. That honey has been at the center of several contamination scares. Oh and there's the unscrupulous adding of corn syrup to extend the honey as well.

Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:25 am »
I know a honey producer who lives in the middle of a protected forest/plains area - 100% sure there are no pesticides around those flowers. Still, unless you're tracking every bee...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:34:58 am »
As far as I know, there isn't any real organic honey.  Here, varroa mites are so widespread that if you didn't treat for them, you'd have no bees but I don't know how bad they are in other areas (my dad kept bees for years and I dabbled in beekeeping for many years until work got too busy to do it properly).

I'd stay far from big box store honey.  Most of it likely has Chinese honey in it which is often a percentage honey mixed with much cheaper sugar syrup.  For me, if I was going to buy honey it would be from a local apiary.  Personally (and because I have first hand experience), I would buy local honey and forget about the organic aspect of it.  If you can find someone who has local "organic" honey and you care about that sort of thing, go for it but look local for your best quality.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:01 am »
At the NHC Michael Fairbrother talked about only using "True Source Honey" in his meads at Moonlight Meadery. As Drew posted, there is adulterated honey out on the market. Find a local apiary, or look into what you buy.
http://www.moonlightmeadery.com/content/art-making-mead
http://www.truesourcehoney.com/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 01:21:08 pm »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 11:31:43 am »
As far as I know, there isn't any real organic honey.  Here, varroa mites are so widespread that if you didn't treat for them, you'd have no bees but I don't know how bad they are in other areas (my dad kept bees for years and I dabbled in beekeeping for many years until work got too busy to do it properly).

Organic doesn't mean no pesticides either. There are 'organic' pesticides that are used on many organic crops.  Those are perfectly safe though, because they are derived from natural sources - just like puffer fish toxin.   :o
AHA Member since 2006

Offline punatic

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 12:27:29 pm »
DDT is an organic molecule.

AHA Life Member #33907