Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Older Roeselare packet  (Read 11039 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Older Roeselare packet
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:16:37 am »
I have an out of date packet of this blend.  If it was a yeast, I'd still use it and just step it up with a starter but in this case, is it still worth using?  I have 5 gals of saison that I'm thinking of adding this to and then just forgetting for a while.  I was going to add WLP Brett B. but then I discovered this packet in the fridge from a forgotten order.  The Manf date is 17 Aug 2011 so it's pretty far past now. 

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Older Roeselare packet
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:29 am »
Throw it in some wort, don't stir it up and let it go for a few days. What's the worst that can happen?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:25:49 am »
How come don't stir it up?  Will that promote the bacteria over the yeast?

I take it you are suggesting, after the few days, pitch it into the saison?

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:40:23 am »
Do the Jamil method and pitch a neutral ale yeast first.  Let it finish fermenting out and then pitch the Roselare blend.  For the most part all you are after is the bugs anyways vs. sacchromyces in the blend.  That would be my advice. 

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:59:05 am »
Don't stir it up, mostly because Lacto and Pedio not so much a fan of the O2 and those are the ones you need the most help establishing.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:34 am »
Right now I have 10 gals of Saison fermenting. I was going to add Brett to 5 gals of this after the wy3711 was done. But now that ive found this packet, and knowing it as Brett in it, I was jut gonna try this if it was still viable. I was gonna pitch the Brett next week after the Sacc had a week or so to do most of the primary.

Other dumb question. I will be moving in a few months. If I bottle this and leave it, will it develop in the bottle or does it have to stay in the carboy? 

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:03:08 am »
Don't stir it up, mostly because Lacto and Pedio not so much a fan of the O2 and those are the ones you need the most help establishing.
Thanks Drew. It's going in a 1 L starter and I will pitch without decanting next week. Like you said, what can happen?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:44:51 am »
In a recent issue of Zymurgy, Chad Yakobson from Crooked Stave Brewery recommends that better results can be achieved by making a starter with your Brett culture.  I would think this to be the case especially in your case since the pack is pretty far past the viable date.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:09:50 pm »
In a recent issue of Zymurgy, Chad Yakobson from Crooked Stave Brewery recommends that better results can be achieved by making a starter with your Brett culture.  I would think this to be the case especially in your case since the pack is pretty far past the viable date.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

A starter culture is for primary fermentation with Brett. If you're adding to secondary, you can just pitch what you have (i.e. the old packet). Brett and the buggers will live on.

You can get great results from just pitching bottle dregs, so you'll have enough viable yeast in the old packet to make a difference (although using the beer as an excuse to buy good sour beer is still recommended  ;D)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »
using the beer as an excuse to buy good sour beer is still recommended
Obviously you've never bought beer in Canada.  Sours are practically non-existant.  Some for Brett beers.  But, I love Goose Island Matilda (my only Brett experience) so we'll give it a go.
I do think I'll do a very small starter (1L) just to see if there is any activity.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 04:24:30 am »

A starter culture is for primary fermentation with Brett. If you're adding to secondary, you can just pitch what you have (i.e. the old packet). Brett and the buggers will live on.

You can get great results from just pitching bottle dregs, so you'll have enough viable yeast in the old packet to make a difference (although using the beer as an excuse to buy good sour beer is still recommended  ;D)

Yes...but his pack was pretty old and making a starter would help generate more culture. I would make a starter as it would help move the process along.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:27 am »
using the beer as an excuse to buy good sour beer is still recommended
Obviously you've never bought beer in Canada.  Sours are practically non-existant.  Some for Brett beers.  But, I love Goose Island Matilda (my only Brett experience) so we'll give it a go.
I do think I'll do a very small starter (1L) just to see if there is any activity.

I apologize for inadvertently rubbing it in. I just read the "went to Canada on Vacation" thread this morning.

Befriend your local distributors and then start clambering for more selection. Have your homebrew friends do this as well. Take to Facebook/Twitter.

ALSO if you're patient, you can brew some damn fine sours at home as well.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »
Well, I pitched this into a 1L starter a couple days ago and I'm not seeing much that I would call signs of life. I'm not shaking it so I'm not seeing if its foaming but there is certainly no krausen. Not sure what to do.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:17:26 am »
Well, I pitched this into a 1L starter a couple days ago and I'm not seeing much that I would call signs of life. I'm not shaking it so I'm not seeing if its foaming but there is certainly no krausen. Not sure what to do.

Brett wont give much krausen. I would give it two weeks before making any judgement. You could test the pH to see if you're getting any acidity.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25:12 am »

Brett as a secondary fermentor won't form a krausen.  It will form a pellicle, but this takes several weeks.  Just don't distrub the pellicle once it forms.