Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Victory Malt In Belgian Style Beers  (Read 3346 times)

Offline patrickswayze

• Cellarman
Victory Malt In Belgian Style Beers
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »
Would it be all that weird to put Victory Malt into a Belgian Golden or Tripel recipe? I know the biscuit/toasted like character might clash with Belgian yeast but has anyone even tried something along these lines? The only reason i ask, is that i have a recipe already milled waiting for brewing and happen to come across 2lbs of pale candi syrup and thinking off just combining the two. Recipe uses a belgian pilsner malt and 7% Crystal 10L and 6% Victory using WLP500 yeast

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Victory Malt In Belgian Style Beers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:32:08 pm »
I make a Belgian Amber with Victory that is quite tasty. A little goes a long way though, in my opinion. So, I believe Victory goes quite well with a Belgian yeast.
Kyle M.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »
I just brewed a hefeweizen with 10% Victory and I really like the way it worked with the clove and banana from the 3638. I think it will probably work better with some Belgian yeasts more than others. Probably would be real nice with Chimay yeast and maybe the Wyeast Abbey II. I say give it a shot but keep it to 5-10% of the grain bill at most to try it out.

Edit: just reread your original post. Six percent victory plus WLP500 sounds like a winner to me. Let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:58:55 pm by erockrph »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline patrickswayze

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:35 pm »
Awesome, i will definitely try it out and see how it goes