Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dough-In  (Read 13453 times)

Offline rhcpfan4002

• Cellarman
Dough-In
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:32:20 am »
Finally making the leap to AG. Decided to make a Southern Brown Ale since that was the first recipe I created to get away from kits. I have been googling and searching for an answer to a question and I don't know if I'm using the wrong words but I can't find anything on this subject that I trust. For AG what is the proper water temp for dough-in? I am basically going to do a simple one-step Saccrification mash for my first batch, so I can learn how to use the equipment and the the like, and don't know were the dough-in temperature comes into play?

Also, has anyone else looked at an old recipe and said to themselves "what the hell was I thinking?!" while remembering how proud you were of that said recipe?
“Ho! Ho! Ho! To the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe
Rain may fall, and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree will I lie
And let the clouds go sailing by”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline m.a.hummel

• 1st Kit
  • Cincinnati, OH
Re: Dough-In
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:57:12 am »
It depends on what your target mash temperature is, how much grain you are using, and what the temperature of your grain and mash tun are. 
Do yourself a favor and download a brewing calculator. You can get a free trial of beersmith. That has good tools on it. There are a multitude of others too.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »
+1 for Beersmith, but there are plenty out there to get you started.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »
I use an app for my android phone called Brewzor. It has some stuff to work with beersmith, but I really use it for all of the calculators. It has a strike water temperature calculator, IBU calculators, and all of that.

Remember that you need to preheat your cooler if you are using one, I usually heat my strike water up 3-5 degrees above the calculated temperature. When I add it to the cold cooler, I give it a couple minutes, and it is right at the proper strike temperature. I then add my grain, and I am right at my proper rest temperature.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 01:26:36 pm »
Another +1 for Beersmith!  I know I am math-impaired, so I made purchasing Beersmith part of the package when I went AG.  For $20, you can't beat what it can do for you.  The 2.0 version is even better, I'm just too cheap to get it.  I couldn't imagine brewing without some kind of software, but plenty of people do...just know one with a Social Sciences Ed. degree  8) 

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:24:28 pm »
Another +1 here for Beersmith.  However you can calculate your strike water temperature yourself using the following formula:

Strike temp = (0.2/R)*(T-G)+T

R = Water to grain ration
T = Target mash temp
G = Grain temp

Gets pretty close to what beersmith or other calculators will tell you.  Keep in mind though that you need to take into consideration the thermal mass of your mashtun, which will absorb some heat.  If you're using a cooler as a mash tun that amount of heat can be significant.  I usually add 12 degrees or so to my strike temp to preheat the tun.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline rhcpfan4002

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:04:56 am »
O.K. Now I remember reading about this. Thanks everyone; apparently I just needed a little memory jump start. Now I can begin creating my mash schedule. Thanks for the advice on getting software. Def going to do that instead of using a spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:20:04 am by rhcpfan4002 »
“Ho! Ho! Ho! To the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe
Rain may fall, and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree will I lie
And let the clouds go sailing by”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:10:00 am »
Bear in mind that these factors will change due to the season. If your cooler is from an ice-cold garage it will need more pre-warming than in the spring or summer. I like to recirculate hot water from the HLT until it warms up then bring it to the desired strike temp.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:00 am »
If your cooler is from an ice-cold garage it will need more pre-warming than in the spring or summer.

I've had good luck keeping my mash tun and grain the house the night before I brew and then I just set my grain temp in Beersmith to my indoor temp.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:34:52 am »
I quit preheating. I drop a therm into my empty mashtun, get a temp, same for the grain. plug that into beersmith. I  hit my mash temps reliably and it saves me a step.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: Dough-In
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:02:32 am »
If your cooler is from an ice-cold garage it will need more pre-warming than in the spring or summer.

I've had good luck keeping my mash tun and grain the house the night before I brew and then I just set my grain temp in Beersmith to my indoor temp.
Same here. Once you dial in the thermal mass of your mash tun in Beersmith, you hit your numbers within a couple degrees every time. No preheating required.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 11:54:34 am »
I quit preheating. I drop a therm into my empty mashtun, get a temp, same for the grain. plug that into beersmith. I  hit my mash temps reliably and it saves me a step.

Pretty much what I do, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 05:28:17 pm »
I just about got my tun figured out. I pre heat with 20*+ my water target temp and stir until the water gets to the pre-grain temp. Add grain and I'm usually within 3 degrees of mash temp. 3* is within the tolerence of the Tubercle. Thermometers are only within 2*.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 09:29:12 am »
For AG what is the proper water temp for dough-in?

I like to Dough in ten degrees above my saccrification target temperature (+/- 1 degree).  I do this to allow for the temperature differences between the grain and water.  The final temperature is my target temperature and I go right into saccrification.  My results have been very consistent doing it this way.  But that's what works for my system...

+ 1 for Beersmith!  Before I bought it I downloaded multiple free trials of brewing software.  I found that beersmith was user friendly and the best for the price.