Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration? How important is the method?  (Read 12199 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Aeration? How important is the method?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 11:45:36 am »
And I use a $3 paint stirrer for my drill. Works well and is a multitasker.

Euge, do you ever use your paint stirrer to decrease cooling times with an immersion cooler.  Or did you mean "multitasker" to mean stirring paint with your paint stirrer?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:51:09 am »
And I use a $3 paint stirrer for my drill. Works well and is a multitasker.

Euge, do you ever use your paint stirrer to decrease cooling times with an immersion cooler.  Or did you mean "multitasker" to mean stirring paint with your paint stirrer?

I use a spoon to stir the wort when it is cooling.

Also use the paint stirrer on water-based paint and it is cleaned stringently after use.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37:57 pm »
I use venturi tube with great success. No problem to ferment 17 Plato beers.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 10:40:28 am »
Mixstir, paint stirrer, never heard of the first and didn't think of the second. what a great wealth of info these forums are. I will have to give these a try my next batch. Thanks a bunch.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 10:42:49 am »
Mixstir, paint stirrer, never heard of the first and didn't think of the second. what a great wealth of info these forums are. I will have to give these a try my next batch. Thanks a bunch.

Here's a MixStir...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mix-stir-agitator-rod.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 12:47:56 pm »

Here's a MixStir...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mix-stir-agitator-rod.html

OK, just had one added to my Oktoberfest ingredient order from my LHBS.  Got the stainless version.  Seemed to make sense to spend 1/3 less than an O2 system for pretty much the same result.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 01:47:48 pm »
I use venturi tube with great success. No problem to ferment 17 Plato beers.

I like this idea, seems simple and elegant.  I like the results using mixstir just fine, but it's messy and generates a ton of foam so have been thinking about other methods.

Are there any data showing how much ppm O2 gets disolved with the venturi? Can you point me to where you got yours?

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 06:50:01 pm »
Different aeration methods were actually tested scientifically.  Google "Effectiveness of Various Methods of Wort Aeration."  The study basically showed that rocking/shaking the wort for 2 minutes was as effective or better at aerating your wort than any other method.

Glanced at that article it seems like the experiment they conducted was using boiled and cooled water.

From my limited experience I've seen some varience based on gravity of wort.

I have the Milwaukee entry-level DO meter to do some testing – what's been getting me about 11ppm to 12ppm (which may be too high – I like the results though) is pure oxygen in the headspace of a carboy (wort at 62*F) at 2LPM for 10 seconds and then a mix-stir for 1 minute.

Works for me. Maybe could exclude the headspace O2. Atmospheric oxygen at my elevation (~5000ft) is still up around 8.2 mg/L

In case you were wondering the little red tanks of O2 run about 3.5 LPM wide open with most oxygen setups you buy (read: morebeer setup)
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 07:20:31 pm »
O2 all the way. I bought mine and yeast starts activity in less than 4 hrs. And that whole "don't use too much" is fiction. I left pure O2 on once for 3 min by mistake and other than awesome fermentation (and some obvious wort overflow) there were no off favors what so ever. I think over oxygenation only happens with the big boys.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 09:40:16 pm »
If I already have a 5 micron stainless stone that I use with an aquarium pump, do I really need to go with a 2 micron one for O2 or is 5 micron OK?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 09:15:25 am »
Here is some info on various aeration methods from Wyeast:  http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Are you sure that it's 5.0 micron?  I have seen 0.5 and 2 micron stones.
Brew on

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 09:21:41 am »

Oh you're right.  It's a 2 micron stone. So do I really need a 0.5 micron stone for O2?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:19 am »

Oh you're right.  It's a 2 micron stone. So do I really need a 0.5 micron stone for O2?
No, unless you want to duplicate exactly what someone else is doing and that person uses a 0.5 micron stone to sparge oxgen into the wort. If you are just planning to fill the headspace of a carboy with oxygen then there is no difference.