Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggestions for Saison  (Read 7656 times)

Offline speedjk

• 1st Kit
Suggestions for Saison
« on: July 07, 2012, 07:02:29 pm »
Im brewing my first Saison tomorrow using wlp565 and adding rye, crystal10, cardamom and either mango or plum. Is there any suggestions to adding fruit to primary? Any other suggestions are also welcome, thanks.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Suggestions for Saison
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:11:54 pm »
For a first Saison I'd just go with you're malt, a lb of sugar and skip the fruit entirely to get a true feel for the yeast. I'd skip the crystal too if you want a nice dry saison. If I was gonna use fruit, I'd probably freeze it first. I'd add fruit to a secondary and I don't know how strong the mango would come through. But, its up to you. I've not used cardamom but I've been cautioned its very strong and to go easy.

Offline speedjk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:32:24 pm »
I do want a dry Saison so i will skip the crystal. Still up in the air about the fruit, but am definitely waiting till secondary to add if I go that route. Thanks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:31:37 pm »
If you want do do fruit do it as a secondary addition for the most flavor. Add it after all or most of the primary fermentation is finished.

Offline speedjk

• 1st Kit
Suggestions for Saison
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »
What's the best way to add fruit to secondary? Do I need to worry about wild yeast kicking off a second fermentation?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:02 pm »
The fruit sugar will kick off a second fermentation anyway.
Most advice I've heard is to freeze the fruit. This breaks up the cells and then add it (thawed) to the secondary. No need to worry about sterilizing it because the alcohol and lower pH will keep the bugs at bay.

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »
Puree the fruit. Easy cleanup. Also, I would either go with rye and cardamom OR fruit. Not both. But if you already brewed it, then what the hell, might as well bottle and drink it!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 08:20:49 pm »
Although I love the super fruitiness of the Belgian (DuPont) strain, it is a big pain in the butt. It is sllllooooowwwww. I just made a French Saison and that stuff finished at 1.006 in 5 days! It's definitely not as fruity but it's subtlety just as great (not to mention it's power).

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:44:51 am »
I have found it is not necessary to secondary with fruit. Just add to primary after most of fermentation is complete...headspace permitting of course.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline speedjk

• 1st Kit
Suggestions for Saison
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:56:23 pm »
Well I added the puréed mango to the secondary after about to weeks in primary. Gave it another 10 days or so in secondary then kegged last week. Just tried it and it's not bad but can hardly pick up on the mango if at all. Oh well there's always next time

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:57:30 pm »
I tried using mango in a wit beer and I also could barely pick it up.  Seems like you have to use a pretty large amount I guess.  I'm not sure if i will be going that route again though.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:36 am »
I do want a dry Saison so i will skip the crystal. Still up in the air about the fruit, but am definitely waiting till secondary to add if I go that route. Thanks

You can always put a gallon or two on fruit in gallon jugs and bottle the remainder as is.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 07:49:09 am »

You can always put a gallon or two on fruit in gallon jugs and bottle the remainder as is.

+1, I just did this with a saison. Havn't tasted the fruited example yet though (it was persian mulberries)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 08:12:26 am »
Well I added the puréed mango to the secondary after about to weeks in primary. Gave it another 10 days or so in secondary then kegged last week. Just tried it and it's not bad but can hardly pick up on the mango if at all. Oh well there's always next time

So how much mango do you add per gallon?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:43 am »

So how much mango do you add per gallon?

Generally with fruit I'd go 1 lb to a gallon for FRESH/frozen fruit not puree. Puree its more like .75 lb per gallon. For something like strawberries which are rather subtle I'd double that ratio. May want to try that with mango as well. So 10 lbs of fresh mango for a 5 gallon batch or 7.5 lbs of puree.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.