Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Bourbon Stout  (Read 3398 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Imperial Bourbon Stout
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:53:53 pm »
I had my first Imperial Bourbon Stout...well sort of I guess.  I was @ Oskar Blues today and the crew brought out some of their Ten Fidy Imperial Stout which they had aging in an oak barrel from Jim Beam for us to try.  I asked how much bourbon they added to it and they said none, the bourbon flavor was actually coming from the barrel.  This was my first beer w/ any bourbon flavor in it and it was freakin' awesome!  This was a small batch that they do not package and sell. So, what are some good bourbon beers that are out there that I should try, or should I just attempt to make my own?  I may have to give Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter a try!  I haven't brewed a beer that I've aged so this may be a good one to start with.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Re: Imperial Bourbon Stout
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:39:56 am »
Brew your own!! ;D

I brewed up a Bourbon Stout a few months ago.  The base beer was my normal dry stout, 6% abv.  I added 16 oz of Makers Mark when I kegged it.  Let it age/mellow on  the gas for three to four weeks.  The bourbon flavor was great.

Unless you can get your hands on a bourbon barrel.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:15:26 am »
Not sure what I was thinking asking should I brew my own...of course I should brew my own! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Imperial Bourbon Stout
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:37:31 am »
Not sure what I was thinking asking should I brew my own...of course I should brew my own!

If you decide to brew my recipe, I'd advise you not to age it much.  I prefer it when it's not much more than a couple months old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:09:35 am »

If you decide to brew my recipe, I'd advise you not to age it much.  I prefer it when it's not much more than a couple months old.

I do recommend Denny's recipe.  It makes an awesome fall/winter beer.  As far as how long you let it go is a matter of personal taste.  I have had it at one year and although the flavors may have mellowed, it is still one damn fine brew.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:35:06 am »

Thanks Denny.  I saw that you mentioned  it didn't benefit from extended aging in Zymurgy, which is good because I'm not the most patient person!  What would you say is a minimum amount of time for when the beer is ready?  I let most of my ales ferment 3-4 weeks before I keg.  I set the keg to serving psi and let it sit for about a week before I start enjoying them, so a total of 4-5 wks w/ my ales.  This will be the first big gravity beer that I will be brewing.  Thanks!
Jeremy Baker

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:05:31 am »
Denny mentions this in the article, but I can't stress it enough: Bourbon will accentuate sweetness. I'd recommend brewing the beer to be less-sweet than usual. I've only made one bourbon beer that was spot-on, the other ended up being slightly too sweet once I added the bourbon.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Imperial Bourbon Stout
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:13:37 am »

Thanks Denny.  I saw that you mentioned  it didn't benefit from extended aging in Zymurgy, which is good because I'm not the most patient person!  What would you say is a minimum amount of time for when the beer is ready?  I let most of my ales ferment 3-4 weeks before I keg.  I set the keg to serving psi and let it sit for about a week before I start enjoying them, so a total of 4-5 wks w/ my ales.  This will be the first big gravity beer that I will be brewing.  Thanks!

That should be in the ballpark.  Let your own tastes be your guide.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell