Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Strawberry Rhubarb Gauntlet  (Read 10699 times)

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
The Strawberry Rhubarb Gauntlet
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:59:45 am »
Went to the local brewpub last night, and my girlfriend was giving me the business about never making a fruit beer. The brewer was behind the bar, overheard the conversation and piled on. End result, he challenged me to brew a strawberry-rhubarb beer using kolsch for the base.

I've never made a kolsch, or a fruit beer. I could start with the kolsch in BCS, beyond that....

How much fruit and how much rhubarb? When in process? He recommended using frozen, thawing it and then puree in a food processor. Rack on to fruit in secondary.

Anyway, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: The Strawberry Rhubarb Gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:36 am »
The ROT is to use 1 lb. of fruit per gal.  Strawberries are pretty subtle and ferment out, so you may need a lot more than that.  Or use a strawberry extract to bump up the flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:48:54 am »
I agree with Denny.  You'll need a lot of strawberries.  I was underwhelmed by my strawberry rhubarb hefeweizen results but when I substituted raspberries it pretty much became a delicious liquid pie that was gone way too quickly.

on a side note, in your shoes I'd probably brew a "plain" Kolsch before I attempted to make a fruited version, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:51:53 am »
So, maybe 2 pounds of berries per gallon, and 1 pd per/g rhubarb?

Would you guys agree with his recommendation on racking onto the fruit in a secondary?

-Barbarosa

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:56:12 am »
Yes, rack onto the fruit in secondary.  And I'd still recommend you look into flavor extracts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:10:15 am »
And I'd still recommend you look into flavor extracts.

Found some natural strawberry extract on Northern Brewers site, I'll give it a go.

-Barbarosa

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:53 am »
i made a strawberry rhubarb and rye.  this was inspired by a strawberry rhubarb jelly and peanut butter sandwich on rye bread.  remember that the rhubarb does have some bitterness so expect that.  it tasted okay prior to bottling but i had some bottling issues and was ruined.  i used fresh fruit and rhubarb in the secondary fermentation. if i were to make another one i would put it in the end of the boil i think.  another option i am considering is the local farmstand has a strawberry rhubarb pie filling that she cans.  i just may throw this in the end of the boill.  hey its a hobby :o
Don AHA member

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:45:30 pm »
on a side note, in your shoes I'd probably brew a "plain" Kolsch before I attempted to make a fruited version, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

I'm not sure I want to fart around with lagering times on an experiment, so on second thought I decided an american wheat or a blonde ale base might be better.

-Barbarosa

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:42:32 pm »

I'm not sure I want to fart around with lagering times on an experiment, so on second thought I decided an american wheat or a blonde ale base might be better.

you don't really have to lager kolsch. it helps but not 100% needed, a week or so at 46 will be fine. but wheat and strawberry rhubarb would be good to. the tartness from the wheat should highlight the rhubarb a bit.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 03:32:09 am »
2,000th post! Woo!

I think that raspberry rhubarb hefe just bumped the old style clone from top of the 'to brew next' list.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:33:42 pm »
I think the sour category could really use a few rhubarb recipes. Somebody please make a rhubarb lambic!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:19 pm »
2lb of rhubarb in 5 gal of wheat is quite noticeable.  I don't have any strawberry extract right now, but it probably would be much better than real strawberries since it won't really ferment out. 
I did it on a whim, this will probably sit around in the kegerator for quite a while since the girlfriend don't drink much and is hardly ever here.