Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: optimal dry hop temperature?  (Read 16294 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
optimal dry hop temperature?
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »
is there one?  I'm reading the interesting article by Mitch Steele in the new zymurgy. I started thinking about temp.  I like to ferment my ales right around 61 degrees and have had great success on various ale styles. I'm working on a pale ale recipe now and am dry hopping at 61.  is warmer better? the previous dry hopping I've done has never been above 70 and I've always been happy with the results. mainly curious as I begin to fill my newly acquired chest freezer with several batches at different times.

any and all thoughts welcome!

cheers and thanks.

ryan
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:07:35 am »
Warmer temps (68 -72) will extract the oils faster. I always dry hop at around 68.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: optimal dry hop temperature?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 08:12:36 am »
I ferment my ales around 62 degrees.  After about a week, after active fermentation, I allow the temp to come up around 68 for the remainder of fermentation.  So anytime I dry hop, the beer has been 68 degrees or so.  I've always thought of timing when it came to dry hopping, never temp, so it will be interesting what everyone else has to say.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:52:41 am »
I ferment my ales around 62 degrees.  After about a week, after active fermentation, I allow the temp to come up around 68 for the remainder of fermentation.  So anytime I dry hop, the beer has been 68 degrees or so.  I've always thought of timing when it came to dry hopping, never temp, so it will be interesting what everyone else has to say.

+1

I've also never dry-hopped for less than a week, so even if temp makes a difference in extraction the extra time should more than make up for that. I think once you go past 3 or 4 days you've probably done the majority of extraction you'd get at fermentation temps.

My question is how temp affects the extraction of vegetal flavors/aromas in comparison to hop character. In other words, is it better to dry hop for 3 days at 70F or 5 days at 62F (for example).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:59:29 am »
Warmer temps (68 -72) will extract the oils faster. I always dry hop at around 68.
+1
I like to add dry hops to my kegs in a sock and leave em. After I keg, I'll put the keg in an interior closet at 68-70 df for a week before I put it into the storage fridge or service.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »
I like to add dry hops to my kegs in a sock and leave em. After I keg, I'll put the keg in an interior closet at 68-70 df for a week before I put it into the storage fridge or service.

This is exactly what I do.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:57:19 pm »
In my experience vegetal aromas and flavors are extracted much more noticeably at lower temps.  If I dry hop with american hops at 55 degrees (winter in my cellar), I get up to several weeks of grass/wood before it dissapates.  When I dry hop with the same volumes at 70F, it only typically imparts that character for a few days. 

And yes, you're reading that right... I get chlorophyll notes at the BEGINNING of dry hopping-- not after extended periods of dry hop contact like prevailing opinion tells us.   

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:49:04 am »
In my experience vegetal aromas and flavors are extracted much more noticeably at lower temps.  If I dry hop with american hops at 55 degrees (winter in my cellar), I get up to several weeks of grass/wood before it dissapates.  When I dry hop with the same volumes at 70F, it only typically imparts that character for a few days. 

And yes, you're reading that right... I get chlorophyll notes at the BEGINNING of dry hopping-- not after extended periods of dry hop contact like prevailing opinion tells us.

That has been my experience as well.  Do not dry hop cold, at least start out with 5-7 days at ambient to extract the oils.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:32:47 am »
Yes, thanks for the reminder on cold temps during dry hopping. The only time I did that I got lots of veg flavors and little  actual hop aroma.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:03 am »

I almost always dry hop cold and have never noticed any unwanted vegetal aromas and flavors.  I'll have to try your method on my next IPA and see if I can tell the difference.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:27 am »

I almost always dry hop cold and have never noticed any unwanted vegetal aromas and flavors.  I'll have to try your method on my next IPA and see if I can tell the difference.
I used to dry hop in the keg cold. I don't anymore. I didn't really notice vegetal, grassy favors when doing this at first, but lately it's really come through and I don't like it at all. I noticed it most when using columbus and other C-hops and that's when decided not to do it anymore. Now I will either throw them into the primary after fermentation, or transfer to secondary. In both instances dry hopping is at room temp and I cold crash before kegging.
Travis R.