Other than Brewing > All Things Food

Ethnic and Regional Cooking

<< < (212/214) > >>

capozzoli:
We have had a six gallon fermentation bucket packed with kraut since october. It is coming along nicely.

Dont just get any cabbage, make sure it is large solid and sound late season cabbage. Late season has lots of natural sugars that make for a good fermentation.

We tried another method that people have told us where you just put it in a jar put the lid on and let it sit. Some even add water. I thought it was crazy because with the lid not much o2 will get in there and I thought maybe the jar could explode but it is working well.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: euge on November 19, 2012, 11:32:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: bluesman on November 19, 2012, 10:47:42 AM ---Prepared 9lbs of sauerkraut yesterday.

I use an old ceramic crock. I sliced the cabbage as thin as I could get it, and layered the cabbage in a crock, applying Sea salt and tamping the cabbage with a wooden block as I added each layer. Then placed the crock, covered with a plate and a 10lb weight, in an old fermenter and sealed the bucket leaving the airlock hole just covered with a beer coaster. It will take at least a few weeks but I think it's perfect in six weeks.

Just in time for New Years!

--- End quote ---

Have you made it before? I plan on making some but maybe one head of cabbage to see how it turns out.

--- End quote ---
I make it every year around October/November so that it's ready by the New Year. It's easy and fun to do. So many dishes can be prepared with this old world food. Try it!

andrew:
A good thread should not die!

I was out mowing the grass about a week ago and disturbed a turtle crawling around the garden fence. I normally just rehome the bigger turtles that i find or my son catches on his rod and reel to the bayou by my office... but this one was not as lucky.

Stewed turtle with onions, garlic, and potatoes with a side of small brussel sprouts - all from the garden. Dessert was fresh picked wild blackberries with sweet bread and good ole vanilla Blue Bell ice cream.

All washed down with a homebrewed porter.

1vertical:

--- Quote from: bluesman on December 02, 2012, 05:56:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: euge on November 19, 2012, 11:32:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: bluesman on November 19, 2012, 10:47:42 AM ---Prepared 9lbs of sauerkraut yesterday.

I use an old ceramic crock. I sliced the cabbage as thin as I could get it, and layered the cabbage in a crock, applying Sea salt and tamping the cabbage with a wooden block as I added each layer. Then placed the crock, covered with a plate and a 10lb weight, in an old fermenter and sealed the bucket leaving the airlock hole just covered with a beer coaster. It will take at least a few weeks but I think it's perfect in six weeks.

Just in time for New Years!

--- End quote ---

Have you made it before? I plan on making some but maybe one head of cabbage to see how it turns out.

--- End quote ---
I make it every year around October/November so that it's ready by the New Year. It's easy and fun to do. So many dishes can be prepared with this old world food. Try it!

--- End quote ---
Ron, I woulda teased in a little caraway seed...just me...

euge:
I like caraway in mine too. It's called "Bavarian-style" down here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version