Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 225971 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Ethnic Cooking
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2010, 06:01:07 pm »
I would love to see those recipes. I have a recipe for the Morocco style bread that is eaten with those salads.

Cuban tonight.

From left to right:

Tostones.

Cuban style fried pork cubes brazed in a sauce of orange juice, garlic, onions, cumin seeds, paprika, oregano, salt pepper, juice of a few limes.

Rice.

Black beans cooked with onions, garlic, cumin, paprika and tomatoes and red peppers.

Viva la Revolucion.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2010, 06:33:38 pm »
I had the real deal down in Miami several years ago. Looks spot on my freind.

I guess the mother-in-law didn't cook tonight afterall.  ;)

Great display!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:22:43 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:00 pm »
M in law was out when I got home.

I managed to throw the pork in the pressure cooker and start the toastones before they got back.  8) Lucky I guess.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2010, 07:26:29 pm »
M in law was out when I got home.

I managed to throw the pork in the pressure cooker and start the toastones before they got back.  8) Lucky I guess.

She doesn't do ANYTHING well? Isn't there a single dish you could let her cook to make her feel useful?
Or have her do breakfast and leave dinner to you? She can do eggs and bacon and toast can't she?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2010, 07:38:11 pm »
Crazy that you ask that. Cause this morning she made scrambled eggs mixed with onions and bacon. The bacon was not crispy. it was like lumps of fat. The onions were under cooked as well as the eggs. EWW. I had frosted mini wheats.

I can honestly say there is nothing she can cook. She cooks meat until it is almost completely decimated.

A cooking quote of hers. "You can not over cook a chicken"  :o

Its hopeless. As the upcoming months pass Ill post some pics. You will see the horror.

I love here though; poor woman here I am talking about her like this.  ::)

Mother in laws are one of the reasons god created beer.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2010, 07:41:12 pm »

I can honestly say there is nothing she can cook. She cooks meat until it is almost completely decimated.

Its hopeless. As the upcoming months pass Ill post some pics. You will see the horror.

Oh man! New thread - FOOD DISASTERS!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »

Oh man! New thread - FOOD DISASTERS!!!

LMAO.

That sucks. You're going to have to do something about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4lRzKboeg

Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2010, 04:48:10 pm »
Huevos Rancharos.

With gringo toppings.

As I understand it real huevos racharos is eggs served on top of fried corn tortillas that are also cooked agin in a Mexican style tomato sauce. That is what is above but also topped with lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, avocado, cilantro, crema Mexicana and about a half a jar of hot sauce.

Here is one of the mother in laws specialties.

If you even know what this is you will never have to prove your manhood to me in any other way.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2010, 06:49:13 pm »
I use to make Huevos Rancheros daily when I was a line cook working at Chi Chi's many moons ago. We used to use a tomato stew that was ladled over the eggs and then topped with cheese. It was okay, not as good as what you've shown.

...and that gelatinized meat. Yuchhh.  :o

I think she destroyed that meat somewhere along the way. Poor women...she probably doesn't know any better. Your going to have to show her the way Capp.  8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:05:17 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

boulderbrewer

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2010, 07:39:51 pm »
Cappo it looks like head cheese but they forgot to grind the bones and form into a nice block and cut it into slices.

Pig nuckle soup chilled.

To quote my wife, " if that is all you have to eat why not and I'll take vegetables any day"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:00:14 pm by boulderbrewer »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2010, 08:18:59 pm »
Yeah, every couple years it gets made around here. But it's really just a half decent chunk of beef cooked to death, plucked apart, more garlic in it than any dish you've ever had, and turned into meat jello. They claim the "gelatin" and the garlic are very good for you - so it is a health food. I gotta eat a ton of bread with it because it's so hot from the garlic(uncooked). Then you chase it with slivo - so it works like draino and keeps your veins from clogging.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:41 pm »
... this morning she made scrambled eggs mixed with onions and bacon. The bacon was not crispy. it was like lumps of fat. The onions were under cooked as well as the eggs. EWW

...A cooking quote of hers. "You can not over cook a chicken"  :o

Well, yeah...it's really easy to overcook chicken (especially the breast meat, which I hate anyway).
But the eggs you describe... sounds like a perfect breakfast... I hate crispy bacon, and I love soft and runny scrambled eggs.   Must be my eastern European genes.

Different strokes I guess. ;D
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2010, 05:52:35 am »
Jerk pork with beans and rice (to mitigate the heat).  Pictures taken after we pigged out.  Pardon the pun.

CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2010, 08:04:29 am »
Well, yeah...it's really easy to overcook chicken (especially the breast meat, which I hate anyway).

True, although even the dark meat can be thoroughly overcooked...my sole experiment so far with a moroccan tagine was to overcook (in a pot over a wood fire) chicken thighs until they literally fell apart into strands and particles.  I wanted "fall off the bone" but I got almost a chicken pate.

Visited a local asian grocer last night and realized I am in the wrong neighborhood to get Korean ingredients...they cater to a local SE asian and Chinese population, I have to go across town where they have Korean and Japanese grocers.  Still got some great banh pho for cheap, some kecap manis, and a variety of other things, including cheap spice refills.  No fish sauce though! 

Maybe later this week I'll drive over there, find some ssamjang and spicy-hot kimchi, and pick up a bottle of soju, too, for a Korean BBQ.  Wish I had a little hibachi, that would be perfect for bool gogi, but the Weber will do.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2010, 08:07:11 am »
All I got out of that was Chicken and Hibachi.... the rest was like a Charlie Brown cartoon. Wa Wa Waaaaaaaaaaaa! :)