Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 225856 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ethnic Cooking
« Reply #375 on: April 26, 2010, 06:05:48 am »
You could guinea pig that "orgreenic" non stick pan for us and post a review.  ;D  $20 plus shipping.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #376 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:34 am »
Haha I went to the site. Looks interesting but they want force their "shipping & handling" upsell. No interest in the chopper or cookbook for extra $6.99. Wonder if there is a recipe for Sag Paneer in it...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #377 on: April 26, 2010, 11:00:40 am »
Great job on the manicotti Capp!

I want to try making them someday.

I use non-stick pans for alot of my cooking. They have a time and a place in the kitchen just as a crock pot does.  :D

Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #378 on: April 26, 2010, 11:41:19 am »
Wonder if there is a recipe for Sag Paneer in it...

Man, I could just live off of that and naan.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #379 on: April 26, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »
Naan.... mmmm. Gotta be fresh out of the oven- it goes downhill fast.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #380 on: April 26, 2010, 02:03:31 pm »
Used to go to indian buffet often, hot naan and saag paneer till you bust. But then one day  :'( they put a few new items on the buffet and some spice just kicked my _ _ _! Felt like the underdog float for the rest of the day. Haven't gone out for indian in at least 3 years. I use the most common spices at home - don't want to feel my way through the other spices to figure out what it was that day.

I think all breads are better fresh and hot - aren't they?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #381 on: April 26, 2010, 02:46:42 pm »
Indeed it is.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #382 on: April 28, 2010, 08:13:37 pm »
Hey Capp...when can we see some of those noodle recipes coming out of you new pasta machine. Some more Italian might be good. I could eat Italian food every week and be very happy with it.
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #383 on: May 01, 2010, 07:07:36 am »
Cochinita pibil (achiote-marinated pork, slow roasted in banana leaves) in homemade tortillas and garnished with a spoonful of reduced pork juice, pickled onions, chile de arbol salsa, and cilantro.  Served with refried beans and a mezcal margarita.

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2010, 11:34:17 am »
Wow, man that looks good. The tortillas look phenomenal. Bet that is a the best way to enjoy puerco pibil.

Hey patriot, you ever make sopas? I want to start making those.

Working on some Goan food for tonight. Spiced nan and a sort of curry stew made with lamb and tripe among some other things.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2010, 11:54:45 am »
That does look good. Well done! I had Tacos Al Pastor for lunch a couple days ago. Dripping with grease. Wonderful! Just love it! A Mexican version of the Gyro.

Looks healthy but this type of food is the reason my city is usually in the top three fattest cities in the nation.  :D

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »
Goan food sounds good, tonight I'm making sol kadhi which is a traditional Goan "drink/soup" made from kokum and coconut milk.  Also some spinach dal, naan of some variety, coconut rice, and keema samosas.  The Goan dish vendaloo is one of my favorites, although I often use chicken instead of the (rare for India) pork.  Black mustard seeds, vinegar, and lots and lots of chilies...lots of flavor in it.  But actually I find I've been cooking with much less meat nowadays.

I do a simulated tacos al pastor by using leftover BBQed pork and pineapple.  Good stuff, the sweet acidity of pineapple adds a  nice touch.  I'm not quite as brave to try making my own tortillas, but then, tortillas are widely available premade, whereas Indian breads I had to learn to make out of necessity.

I'm not big into Ayurveda by any stretch of the imagination...I cook with ingredients for flavor, little else, but I found a comment to this article about kalonji/nigella seeds amusing: 

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kalonji.htm

"is kalonji good for spinal cord injuries?"

I think that may be asking a bit much from a humble seed used for flavoring bread!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #387 on: May 01, 2010, 01:15:44 pm »
Putting some in  my naan tonight and my back feels better already. It prevented my male pattern baldness too.

.......wait, I forgot I drank a couple of ThirstyMonk's maibocks after getting back from Sesame Place this morning. Thats whats good for spinal injuries.

Just got back a little while ago from the Halal butcher. They have some nice stuff there, very fresh. Fresh killed goats whole too. I aksed them what Halal meat means. Everything there is killed in the name of Allah and bled out properly.  They didnt have any mutton tripe. So just got lamb neck and beef tripe for the Goan stew. Its in the pressure cooker with the tomatoes coconut milk and spices now.

Here are the rules for Halal "legal" meat.

Explicitly forbidden substances

A variety of substances are considered as harmful (haraam) for humans to consume and, therefore, forbidden as per various Quranic verses:

* Pork meat (i.e., flesh of pig)[Qur'an 2:173]
    * Blood[Qur'an 2:173]
    * Animals slaughtered in the name of anyone but Allah. All that has been dedicated or offered in sacrifice to an idolatrous altar or saint or a person considered to be "divine"[Qur'an 2:173] [Qur'an 5:3]
    * Carrion[Qur'an 2:173]
    * An animal that has been strangled, beaten (to death), killed by a fall, gored (to death), savaged by a beast of prey (except that which you may have slaughtered while it was still alive){{cite quran
    * Food over which Allah's name is not pronounced(or at least not in a name other than Allah)[Qur'an 6:121]
    * Alcohol and other intoxicants[Qur'an 5:090]

[edit] Dhabiha: Method of slaughter
Main article: Dhabiha

Thabiha or Dhabiha (Arabic: ذبيحة‎), is the prescribed method of ritual slaughter of all animals excluding fish and most sea-life per Islamic law. This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact. It is believed by Muslims to kill instantly and painlessly.[2]

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:18:22 pm by capozzoli »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #388 on: May 01, 2010, 05:56:38 pm »
my city is usually in the top three fattest cities in the nation.  :D

You live in Chicago too?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #389 on: May 01, 2010, 06:20:10 pm »
Halal meat Goan fare.

From the rear to the front:

Mixed padad (lentil crisps),

spiced naan,

mango pickles and sweet chili chutney. (sweet does not mean not hot cause..damn) ,

an odd salad of sliced cabbage, carrots, raisins, cashews, honey, yogurt, spices sometimes called "yogurt salad" 

another odd but very refreshing salad made with watermelon, mint, sugar and black pepper.

Lamb with tripe stew made with coconut milk, tomatoes, ginger, onions, spices. (awesome)

Rice layered with lentils.