Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 224748 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ethnic Cooking
« Reply #555 on: July 16, 2010, 09:01:42 pm »
God!  I love this cooking thread!

Cooking is every bit a skill/obsession/hobby as brewing.

Cap--you gotta do a Zymurgy or BYO column every month.  I predict that, singlehandedly, you WILL make the readership double.  People love food.  And all those pics--mmmmph!  you make us hungry!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #556 on: July 18, 2010, 08:17:50 am »
God!  I love this cooking thread!

Cooking is every bit a skill/obsession/hobby as brewing.

Cap--you gotta do a Zymurgy or BYO column every month.  I predict that, singlehandedly, you WILL make the readership double.  People love food.  And all those pics--mmmmph!  you make us hungry!

+1

Just have to inject homebrew into the topic.

I have always wanted to do some cold smoking. I need to come up with a cheap and easy means to do it. Did I say cheap and easy... :-\

Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #557 on: July 18, 2010, 08:22:46 am »
Cardboard box and flexible dryer duct seems to cover both of your requirements.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #558 on: July 18, 2010, 11:07:16 am »
I have always wanted to do some cold smoking. I need to come up with a cheap and easy means to do it. Did I say cheap and easy... :-\

Cheap is relative, I guess...I'd really have to recommend the Pro Q cold smoke generator.  26 quid, not sure the exchange rate to USD.
http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/OrderROW.html

For a refill of sawdust, these guys have the best prices...bearing in mind that even one pound of sawdust will run the CSG for MANY hours.
https://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/act/products.view/category_id/20

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #559 on: July 18, 2010, 06:07:56 pm »
Chana masala with basmati and naan.  This chana masala recipe was the best I've made.  It was one of the most delicious indian recipes I've had in a long time.  You can find it here (incidentally, this website is full of great recipes).

Sorry for the blurry photo!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #560 on: July 18, 2010, 08:43:45 pm »
That chana masala looks good.  I think I slightly overdid it on Indian cooking and have given it two or three weeks rest.  I shall return, as MacArthur promised.

Yesterday I snuck off to the E. European market and got some more cured meats.  A bit of smoked slanina, some suva govedina (dried, smoked hunk of beef), and an albanian dried beef sausage.  Also some ajvar, which I can't think I would in anyways dislike since I am so partial to roasted peppers in any as-yet-sampled form.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #561 on: July 18, 2010, 08:52:05 pm »
Do any of these meats have americanized equivalents?  I'm not up on the foreign lingo.
If you know, please supply the extra info for those of us who don't share your ethnicity or cultural experience.
I'd think most of us would want to know if we were eating unusual animal parts.  Just saying...

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #562 on: July 18, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »
Do any of these meats have americanized equivalents?  I'm not up on the foreign lingo.
If you know, please supply the extra info for those of us who don't share your ethnicity or cultural experience.
I'd think most of us would want to know if we were eating unusual animal parts.  Just saying...

Hehe, not my personal cultural experience or ethnicity, any more than amchur, hing, and all the other funky Indian ingredients are from my culture.  I do have an uncle by marriage who hails from the Balkans but the most I know from them is povetica.  I'm just naturally curious about other cultures' foods.  I'm a mutt of Dutch and English and "miscellaneous" stock, as I understand.

But broadly speaking the slanina is basically a cured bacon that is meant to be eaten "raw" in the sense of not cooked, but it is cured, smoked, and dried to a point of safety.  Likewise for the beef sausage and that hunk of dried beef.  The closest parallel for Americans would be various European charcuterie, particularly Italian salume.  Italians have some dried beef products, the name of which escapes me.  Beef jerky is a good consideration...the sremska ljuta kobasica (Serbian spicy sausage) I got last time had a distinct "jerky-like" flavor.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #563 on: July 19, 2010, 06:50:06 am »
Yesterday I snuck off to the E. European market and got some more cured meats.  A bit of smoked slanina, some suva govedina (dried, smoked hunk of beef), and an albanian dried beef sausage.  Also some ajvar, which I can't think I would in anyways dislike since I am so partial to roasted peppers in any as-yet-sampled form.

So now you just chop it all up like so...

get some fresh bread, a little cheese,  green onions, slivo and maybe a beer....

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #564 on: July 19, 2010, 12:50:08 pm »
That just looks completely fantastic!  Yes please!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #565 on: July 19, 2010, 01:11:59 pm »
I'll take two to go...and make it snappy!  ;D
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #566 on: July 19, 2010, 02:03:26 pm »
In Slovakia that platter is what they have for breakfast.

Nic, the Italin style cured dried beef is called Bresiola. Good stuff!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:06:01 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #567 on: July 19, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »
Since eastern European charcuterie seems to be so en vogue around here right now, I would suggest that anyone who finds themselves in the Chicago area pay a visit to Publican.  Not only does their charcuterie satisfy the aficionado, but they also have some incredible peasant fare.  The restaurant is basically set up like an old school eastern European dining hall.  Oh, and did I mention that the entire menu is basically beer-focused??  Yeah, it's pretty much the Grey Havens for our sort.  ;)

Edit: I promise I have no affiliation with Publican.  I just think it's a great establishment!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:51:56 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #568 on: July 19, 2010, 08:04:15 pm »
Took a pic of the spread tonight, will upload tomorrow with thoughts.  Haven't really dug in yet (waiting for the little one to be off to bed) but the govedina I think will be a major hit, the Albanian style sudzuk is OK but I prefer sremska kobasica, and the slanina....damn, I am so weirded out by that stuff!!!  Tried a bit and, yeah, it is basically identical in texture to the also-cured, also-smoked American bacon.  But eaten raw.  I know its a cultural hangup, but I'll get past it...or I'll be using the rest of the slanina as a flavoring for soups and potatoes and such like!  Doing some pasta tomorrow, maybe it would be a good addition to the sauce...

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #569 on: July 19, 2010, 08:28:03 pm »
Took a pic of the spread tonight, will upload tomorrow with thoughts.  Haven't really dug in yet (waiting for the little one to be off to bed) but the govedina I think will be a major hit, the Albanian style sudzuk is OK but I prefer sremska kobasica, and the slanina....damn, I am so weirded out by that stuff!!!  Tried a bit and, yeah, it is basically identical in texture to the also-cured, also-smoked American bacon.  But eaten raw.  I know its a cultural hangup, but I'll get past it...or I'll be using the rest of the slanina as a flavoring for soups and potatoes and such like!  Doing some pasta tomorrow, maybe it would be a good addition to the sauce...

How are you slicing up the slanina? Hate to beat this to death, but I don't know anyone who doesn't like it. Unless you have incredibly HUGE hands, I would slice the slanina into chunks about pinky size only to the first knuckle from the tip. Small, tasty, bite size - not too much chewing...