Other than Brewing > All Things Food

Ethnic and Regional Cooking

<< < (2/214) > >>

Pawtucket Patriot:
Cap!  Glad to see you, man.  Let's get this thread started!

Smurfe, great looking Mexican dishes.  I, too, am an authentic Mexican food fanatic (among a lot of other ethnic fare).  I also love Indian and Sichuan cuisine.  French and Italian are favorite too.  Basically, I just love food.   ;D

smurfe:
Me to, we are I guess what you call "Foodies" here. We rarely cook or eat any "normal" American foods. I subscribe to numerous cooking magazines and get a lot of inspiration from them. About all I watch on TV is the food channel and cooking shows on PBS. I have tons of kitchen gadgets that help one do the job right and I have a kitchen knife fetish and have numerous Japanese kitchen knives.

Pawtucket Patriot:

--- Quote from: smurfe on November 07, 2009, 04:01:27 PM ---Me to, we are I guess what you call "Foodies" here. We rarely cook or eat any "normal" American foods. I subscribe to numerous cooking magazines and get a lot of inspiration from them. About all I watch on TV is the food channel and cooking shows on PBS. I have tons of kitchen gadgets that help one do the job right and I have a kitchen knife fetish and have numerous Japanese kitchen knives.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like we're cut from the same cloth.  I was very disappointed when Gourmet announced that they would no longer be publishing after November.  That was one of my favorite cooking mags.

weazletoe:
   Any chance giving me some details on that pork and beans?

capozzoli:
Smurfe, That stuff looks great. Looks like I am in the right place .

I would love to hear more about the sausage!!! Have you done any curing or drying?

Made some Greek food tonight. Lamb Soulvaki to be exact. With home made pita bread.

Marinated pounded lamb chunks in a mixture of olive oil , garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, fresh parsley, lemon juice for about 24 hours than grilled them over some lump charcoal.  

For the pita bread. first I made a yeast starter with about a tablespoon of yeast and a half cup of milk. The milk is 90 degrees and I also add a pinch of sugar to get the little buggers going.

With about three cups of bread flour in the kitchen Aid I add the yeast starter two eggs and a teaspoon of salt. Mix till a nice semi dry dough forms. then form it into six or eight balls and set them out on a floured board covered with a damp towel to rise.

After it has risen, roll the dough out to the desired width. The dough should be no more than 1/4" thick.

Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat and wipe it with a little cooking oil. Cook the bread on both sides being careful not to burn it. Turn it frequently.

I love Greek food. Its a no nonsense simple less is more type of cooking. Meat and fire, what more do you need?

So, are we abandoning the old site guys?

It has seemed to have gotten pretty boring there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version