Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 225870 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Ethnic and Regional Cooking
« Reply #690 on: August 20, 2010, 10:40:16 am »
No just a regular HEB, but I have a feeling they're catering to the shoppers in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Everyone loves HEB so much it's put Albertsons, Kroger, etc out of business in many areas- a major player in Texas. They're a lot like a Vons supermarket out West.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #691 on: August 20, 2010, 05:32:36 pm »
That tripa is not to be confused with tripe. It is cow intestines. They were on the argentian grill a few pages back.

Ive been to a cvouple of HEB's, that is a nice store. The one Iwas in they had a Mexican bakery making all kinds of stuff. Home made tortillas were my fav.

They havet hat wet corn masa too white and yellow. We cant get that around here.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:31:43 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #692 on: August 20, 2010, 10:36:13 pm »
HEB only makes it as far north as Waco. After that, Krogers, Albertsons and Tom Thumb rule the roost. We do have Central Markets scattered around DFW though. Otherwise, La Michoacana is the carnecieria around here.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #693 on: August 21, 2010, 06:36:45 am »
Im pretty sure the owner of HEB is good people. He payed for the the building that houses the Harte Institute in Corpus Christi. My buddy went there to get his PHD in Marine Biology.

The guy (cant remember his name) is a major philanthropists that gives a LOT back.

He also contribute piles of money into research for protecting the Gulf of Mexico. Wonder what he is thinking These days.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #694 on: August 21, 2010, 10:06:17 am »
The founder was Howard E. Butt. No joke. He's passed on but his family runs the business. They're billionaires like the Waltons.

They do a lot for the communities they are in. It's a great chain to work for and to shop at. You should see an HEB during the holidays- esp Thanksgiving. Product flying off the shelves and the stockers working overtime barely keeping up!

They've expanded into Mexico where they are more like a Walmart but with greater emphasis on food AFAIK. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #695 on: August 23, 2010, 06:37:23 am »
Paella again...no process pics, but and end result:

Only used 1 chicken breast, diced rather small and seasoned with oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, and moistened with dry sherry.  Had a 4oz dried Spanish style chorizo that I sliced up as well.  But anyway, I did all the chopping first, but the first thing I cooked was 4 Hatch chilies and one large red pepper...capsicum, if you will...over the charcoal chimney, until blackened, then peeled and chopped.

After spreading the lit charcoal in my Weber kettle grill, a large bit of bacon grease and olive oil went into the paella pan.  Then 2 large diced red onions went in and cooked til just hinting at brown, then in with a large quantity of diced garlic.  After a while I added the chicken, let it start to firm up and get mostly cooked, and I added the diced chorizo.  Then, in with some finely diced celery, chopped mushrooms, and chopped sun dried tomatoes.  I also added the chilies and red pepper at this point.  When it was starting to get fully cooked, I added two cups of rice (nothing fancy, just plain supermarket rice...all I had!).  I let it sort of get coated with the remaining oil and fry for a bit, and added a healthy shot of achiote oil (my substitution for saffron) that I made up on Saturday.  Then, in with four cups of vegetable stock.  I stirred it all up, returned it to a boil, then added a couple chunks of hickory to the fire and covered the grill.  After about 30 minutes the water was absorbed, the paella was cooked and nicely smoky, and the "soccarat" or browned crust on the bottom was absolutely perfect...not burned, just a browned and crunchy layer of rice.  Goes nice with a bit of sherry!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #696 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:31 am »
Nice work nic!

You even have a paella pan...I'm impressed. 

I'd like to try this dish with some prawns, clams and mussels.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #697 on: August 23, 2010, 07:42:43 am »
Found the paella pan at Costplus World Market for a very reasonable 14.99!

I know seafood paella is more common but my wife dislikes most seafood and I am more ambivalent than anything else, so we do a more land/air based version!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #698 on: August 28, 2010, 05:45:46 pm »
I have always wanted to make a Pallela pan. I would actually like to make a few pots, maybe a gulash pot. My father in law made his kotlik.

Here is some Argentine BBQ we did at a friends house. They have a nice brick Argentine grill.

Lamb roasted over hot coals the Argentinian way (just sea salt)  This is also the way they do it in Greece and Italy, Spain and elsewhere.

YEAH BOOOOYYYY!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:03:23 am by capozzoli »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #699 on: August 28, 2010, 07:25:23 pm »
I think I just lost my appetite.   :o   ;D
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #700 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15:00 pm »
I think I just lost my appetite.   :o   ;D

You kidding? That looks awesome! Prehistoric even.
Never done em flat out like that - gotta keep my people's tradition going you know...  :P ;)

* is it me or does that lamb look like it's sporting a "grill"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:17:38 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #701 on: August 28, 2010, 11:07:30 pm »
Bánh xèo is one of my favorites. I filled myself up on this for lunch. It was unbelievably awesome!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #702 on: August 29, 2010, 05:31:57 am »
I remember years ago when Vietnamese restaurants started showing up, they called those Happy Pancakes.

Did you make them yourself? Looks perfect.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #703 on: August 29, 2010, 08:58:04 am »

* is it me or does that lamb look like it's sporting a "grill"

Ha! I was thinking the same thing!  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #704 on: August 29, 2010, 10:14:28 am »
Make them myself? No- though this is a good idea. Pho might be difficult but I imagine one could make these fairly easily. Cap you ever make them?