Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 225482 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Ethnic and Regional Cooking
« Reply #900 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:26 am »
Damn, I better get movin.  ::)

Ya gotta love a man who quotes himself.  :P
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #901 on: November 19, 2010, 10:29:41 am »
Damn, I better get movin.  ::)

You behind, dude ;D

OK, how long do they sit?
And then...I guess to test them out bake them on some chicken breast or something?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #902 on: November 19, 2010, 10:53:00 am »
At least a mointh I think. Longer is much better.

Dont bake them. They are mostly used like a flavoring component in sauces and stews. Caleed tangines in Morroco. Cook them in tomato sauce or some other sauce. Just wait till you smell them when they are done, very powerful. 

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #903 on: November 19, 2010, 10:58:57 am »
Gotcha
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #904 on: November 19, 2010, 02:03:03 pm »
Who has a great saag recipe?  I love saag paneer but can do without the paneer, myself (the wife dislikes the texture) so I'm wanting a nice blended spinach curry.  Maybe going to make some this weekend along with some thawed out dal and naan and basmati.  I have some frozen micro-scallops and have a recipe for Indian chili scallops, but my wife wasn't any too keen on the idea.  Last time I used these scallops it almost ruined a pasta dish. 

I have a pumpkin saag recipe that's quite good, if you'd like it.  Let me know and I'll dig it out.  I got it from a vegan friend's cookbook, Veganomicon (I think).  We joined a CSA program this year, and we went a month or so where we got a sugar (pie) pumpkin every week.  Didn't feel like pumpkin pie in August, so we made saag.  Just got another one yesterday; this one will be made into a pie.  $25 for a crate of random veggies, delivered, every week.  Very happy with that deal.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #905 on: November 19, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »
Who has a great saag recipe?  I love saag paneer but can do without the paneer, myself (the wife dislikes the texture) so I'm wanting a nice blended spinach curry.  Maybe going to make some this weekend along with some thawed out dal and naan and basmati.  I have some frozen micro-scallops and have a recipe for Indian chili scallops, but my wife wasn't any too keen on the idea.  Last time I used these scallops it almost ruined a pasta dish. 

I have a pumpkin saag recipe that's quite good, if you'd like it.  Let me know and I'll dig it out.  I got it from a vegan friend's cookbook, Veganomicon (I think).  We joined a CSA program this year, and we went a month or so where we got a sugar (pie) pumpkin every week.  Didn't feel like pumpkin pie in August, so we made saag.  Just got another one yesterday; this one will be made into a pie.  $25 for a crate of random veggies, delivered, every week.  Very happy with that deal.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #906 on: November 19, 2010, 03:35:40 pm »

Yes, please give us the recipe so I can try out the lemon thing.

I have nothing against vegans,,,except that they are made out of meat :'(

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #908 on: November 23, 2010, 07:23:19 pm »
Italian

This was a dish that I used to hate with a passion. We would go to my Grandma Capozzoli's for dinner and she would make stuff like this. This dish particularly terrified us grand kids, but we had to "clean our plates" In fact we were not allowed to leave the table till all of the food was gone.

On more than one occasion I filled my pockets with tripe just to get away from the table. Then when home I would have to pull it out and rinse my pants before my parents discovered my trick. I discovered early on that the hand is quicker than the eye.

Now, long after my grandma has gone on ahead I have learned to love this dish, it brings back memories. Only difference is I eat it and really enjoy it instead of stuffing it into my pockets.

Neapolitan style tripe and fried peppers on capelini.

Nothing says grandma Capozzoli like cows stomach.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #909 on: November 23, 2010, 07:46:41 pm »
Italian

This was a dish that I used to hate with a passion. We would go to my Grandma Capozzoli's for dinner and she would make stuff like this. This dish particularly terrified us grand kids, but we had to "clean our plates"

Nothing says grandma Capozzoli like cows stomach.

That is just wrong Cap! 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #910 on: November 23, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »
Tubercle will eat just about any type of plant matter and muscle tissues from fish, fowl, reptiles and mammals but tends to shy away from internal organs.

Unless its ground into potted meat, wieners or (one of the major food groups) Vienna Sausages ;D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #911 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:38 pm »
The only organ I like is the Hammond B3...jazz organ.

That cow stomach is making me sick.  ;)  ;D

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:16:56 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #912 on: November 23, 2010, 08:20:51 pm »
You guys dont know what you are missing.

I will eat almost anything. Just has to taste good.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #913 on: November 23, 2010, 08:29:12 pm »

That's funny
Actually, that's real funny

But, I have eat chittlins and they are pretty good. Just got to make sure all the pig $h^t is rinsed real good.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #914 on: November 23, 2010, 08:36:17 pm »

That's funny
Actually, that's real funny

But, I have eat chittlins and they are pretty good. Just got to make sure all the pig $h^t is rinsed real good.

Sorry if I offended you Cap.  :-[

Ron Price