Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Traveling with wort  (Read 5853 times)

Offline RodneyJ75

• 1st Kit
Traveling with wort
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:39:31 pm »
I have a question. I may not be able to brew anything at the apartment complex that I live in, but my parents live 10 minutes away. I'm thinking about brewing there and bringing the wort home to ferment. Will traveling with the wort ruin it? Can I pitch the yeast before bringing it home or should I wait the 10 minute drive... If even advisable.

Thanks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Traveling with wort
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:13 pm »
I don't think it will make a significant difference whether you pitch before or after you travel. You can do whichever works best for you.

Do you have a way to control your fermentation temps in your apartment? If not, you may be better off just leaving the whole thing in your parents' basement.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:21:09 am »
Do you have a way to control your fermentation temps in your apartment? If not, you may be better off just leaving the whole thing in your parents' basement.
I agree with this.  Pitch the yeast wherever you have the stuff to do it, but make sure it is at the right temperature and will ferment at the right temperature.  That's much more important than a 10 minute shift either way in pitching yeast.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:28:58 am »
I'd pitch when you get home.  And as long as you have a way to keep it from spilling, hit some bumpy roads on the way home.  It will be a nice little 10 minute aeration. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:36 am »
I've brewed at friends houses a few times and brought the wort home. It is just a little extra aeration.  Make sure the container is secured well in your car or you'll have wort all over the place.  And if it is glass - DON'T have someone hold it between their legs.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:30:40 am »
I wait to pitch yeast when I get home whenever I'm not brewing at home.  I can't control the fermentation temperature until I get home; often it's a 30-40 min drive and sometimes it may sit for an hour or so before I'm on the road.  Never had any issues.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:55:01 am »
I will add, again, that I almost always wait 12-24 hours to pitch yeast. This is because my tap water can only get the wort down to about 82 degrees in a reasonable amount of time and the ferm fridge can drop it the rest of the way. no problems so far. traveling with the wort should also be totally fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:02 am »
I've brewed at friends houses a few times and brought the wort home. It is just a little extra aeration.  Make sure the container is secured well in your car or you'll have wort all over the place.  And if it is glass - DON'T have someone hold it between their legs.

If you're moving a glass carboy I STRONGLY recommend that you have it in a plastic milk crate.  At a minimum.

Obviously, you want it secured and what not so it won't tip but the crate is good protection against anything banging into it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:35:06 am »
I do it every single weekend. I dont have a garage currently(thats gonna change in 2 weeks! :)).  But I brew out at my uncles house. I use Better Bottles and Glass carboys. I put them in the back surrounded by the 5 gallon water jugs I use to fill with water on the brewday. These go in the back of my Jeep and the water jugs support the bottles and prevent them from falling over.

I get the carboys home, put them in fermentation chamber, cool to pitching temps, and usually aerate and pitch the next day. been doing this for almost 2 years now, with  no infections, broken jugs, spilled wort or any of that.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:41 am »
I do it every single weekend. I dont have a garage currently(thats gonna change in 2 weeks! :)).  But I brew out at my uncles house. I use Better Bottles and Glass carboys. I put them in the back surrounded by the 5 gallon water jugs I use to fill with water on the brewday. These go in the back of my Jeep and the water jugs support the bottles and prevent them from falling over.

I get the carboys home, put them in fermentation chamber, cool to pitching temps, and usually aerate and pitch the next day. been doing this for almost 2 years now, with  no infections, broken jugs, spilled wort or any of that.
Famous last words  :P Just kidding but I knocked on wood for you.

I would wait till I got home to pitch as well.  I agree the minimal aeration during your drive isn't an issue and you should protect your carboy to avoid breakage and a mess.  If you pitch before your drive, I would be more concerned about the effect the sloshing will have on the yeast as they're starting to get situated in their new environment. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:16:20 pm by saintsbrew »
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Traveling with wort
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:46:57 am »
I know of at least one brewpub chain that does it (Granite City) although the process is supposedly patented (heh). Anyway, I've driven wort across town before. I've also waited a good 12 hours to pitch, especially with lagers.

Offline RodneyJ75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37:43 pm »
I will travel home with the wort, then pitch. I will have a chest freezer with a temp controlling my garage to control the fermentation temps.

Thanks for so much input. I'm looking forward to brewing my first batch.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »
If you're moving a glass carboy I STRONGLY recommend that you have it in a plastic milk crate.  At a minimum.

Yes! And a milk crate is much more stable too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958