Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hopping post carbonation?  (Read 15550 times)

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
dry hopping post carbonation?
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:03:44 am »
Brewed a best bitter and didn't quite get the hop flavor I was after (shooting for something like Goose Island's Honkers Ale with Styrian Goldings) and I thought I'd throw an ounce, maybe an ounce and half in the keg for dry hopping. I've never dry hopped in the keg and the beer is already carbonated. Am I going to run into any issues if I do? Foaming perhaps? I was thinking I'd let it sit 4 days or so and then bottle it.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: dry hopping post carbonation?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:41 am »
I do this frequently by suspending a muslin back in the keg by a piece of unflavored dental floss.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:43 am »
How are you sanitizing the bag? Boiling, starsan? Or is it a non-issue?

-Barbarosa

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:29:23 am »
RDWHAHB.

No problem in hopping past-carbonation. I sometimes leave keg hops in until the keg kicks. Not ideal, but still not a big deal.

No need to sanitize the bag if its fairly clean.

I would do two things:

1. Adjust carbonation gently. Slowly off-gas to add the hops, keep at serving pressure after adding the hops. Lower-gravity beers tend to get that carbonic bite if you rush in force-carbonating, especially more than once.

2. Suspend (per jeffy) and shake to get the most out of 'em. If the beer is cold, extraction will be slower. I use a bag, some fishing line, and a (new) plastic bobber to suspend keg hops.

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:31 am »
1. Adjust carbonation gently. Slowly off-gas to add the hops, keep at serving pressure after adding the hops. Lower-gravity beers tend to get that carbonic bite if you rush in force-carbonating, especially more than once.

I set it and forget it. Carbed at 40f/10psi for a week and it seems to be where it should.

2. Suspend (per jeffy) and shake to get the most out of 'em. If the beer is cold, extraction will be slower. I use a bag, some fishing line, and a (new) plastic bobber to suspend keg hops.

Shake?

-Barbarosa

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:48:22 am »

I set it and forget it. Carbed at 40f/10psi for a week and it seems to be where it should.

Shake?

I don't think you need to shake the keg.  Just leave the hops in for the duration.
I sanitize the bag by putting it in boiling water.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:31:41 am »
I dunk the bag in Star San and suspend with dental floss like others above.  My Arrogant Bastard clone didn't come out quite like I hoped so I am dry hopping in the keg with some Chinook.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:08:22 pm »
Just saw a project for a kegerator hop filter in an old BYO ( I am searching for recipe info). November 2010. It looks like one of those inline water filters full of whole leaf hops. pretty cool idea but probably too late unless you want to hold off enjoying your beer until you get it built.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:08:00 pm »

I've never had a problem with hops bags sinking to the bottom of the keg or fermenter. In the bag, both pellet and whole leaf hops float on the surface, which can be a problem if it decides to get stuck in your purge valve when you are purging air at kegging.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!