Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Forced Carbonation Problem (Beer won't carb)  (Read 10052 times)

Offline beerbull

• 1st Kit
Forced Carbonation Problem (Beer won't carb)
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:25:12 am »
This is a new one for me.  I recently made a ten gallon batch of Hefeweizen and split the batch to make one half of regular Hef and one half of Peaches and Cream Hef (Recipe on this site).  Both batches were put on CO2 at the same time, at the same pressure (~14 psi at 40 deg) for about three weeks now.  The regular batch carbed up just fine, while the Peaches and Cream still has no carbonation.  I have verified multiple times that there is CO2 flowing to the keg.  The only difference between the two batches is that peach puree and lactose were added to the Peaches and Cream.  Could the puree or lactose make it more difficult for the beer to absorb the CO2?

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Forced Carbonation Problem (Beer won't carb)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:37:03 am »
The puree and lactose wouldn't make a difference. If you're sure CO2 is flowing to the keg, the next thing to check is to make sure it's holding pressure. Did you check for leaks? Although if it was leaking, you probably would have emptied the CO2 tank by now.
Mark Gres

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:34 am »
Spray some starsan on all the connections check for leaks. Also do you have any headspace in the keg? Also check the ball valve, could be broken. Maybe try switching lines between the 2 kegs and see if that helps.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:43:59 am »
The puree and lactose wouldn't make a difference. If you're sure CO2 is flowing to the keg, the next thing to check is to make sure it's holding pressure. Did you check for leaks? Although if it was leaking, you probably would have emptied the CO2 tank by now.

+1 Must be a tiny leak or no co2 is getting to the beer. No reason for it not to carb. Check the seals and the tank for how full it is.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerbull

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:43:31 pm »
Thank you for the responses and suggestions.  I've verified that CO2 is getting to the beer by pulling the relief valve and I can hear it refilling the head space.  I have purged the head space many times and have checked for leaks.  CO2 is definitely getting to the beer.  I believe there is enough head space as I have been tasting the beer frequently in the past few weeks  ;D

I've switched the CO2 hoses from the other batch, although I'm not sure how this may fix the problem as both lines are coming from the same regulator.  Maybe I'll try raising the PSI or shaking the keg.  Very confusing.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:25:29 am »
If you shake it, don't crank the CO2 up, just shake it as is.  How are you getting it out of the keg?  Same way as the other keg?  A leak of some sort seems likely, or somehow reduced pressure in that keg compared to the other one.  I'm assuming they are at the same temperature?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:01:25 pm »
New seals! If you're going to the trouble to disassemble your keg, you might as well install new seals. A new o-ring kit is about $5.99. Lube them up too. Seriously.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Forced Carbonation Problem (Beer won't carb)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:29 am »
How much head space do you have? Co2 will not dissolve into solution without head space. If you have a very small amount of head space it will take longer for it to carb. The more head space you have, the faster it will carb. If you think you don't have enough head space pour out a pint or two.