Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat and Maize Grain Bill  (Read 3260 times)

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
Wheat and Maize Grain Bill
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:13:10 pm »
Long unimportant story as to why, but on Sunday I mashed with a 50/50 mix of malted wheat/flaked maize. Hopped to 17 IBU with Willamette and added some simple sugar at the end of the boil. It’s now fermenting nicely with a clean ale yeast. The brewday was done for testing some new equipment, but what do you think this beer will be like? I can't find any information on a grain bill like this.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Wheat and Maize Grain Bill
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:06:46 pm »
kinda bland I would think but who knows. maize doesn't add much and wheat all by itself is pretty neutral. How did the sparge go? that's gotta be a sticky one!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:00 pm »
How long did you mash?  Did you do an iodine test?  With no barley I'd expect trouble getting full conversion.  Does that mean low alcohol with lots of body?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »
I used white wheat. It's got a pretty high diastatic power. Had no problem with conversion. Mashed low and still got 80% efficiency. Actually was only planning on 75%, so it'll be a little bigger than planned. Fermenting at a low temperature to keep it clean. At first I was thinking it'd be something like a Cream Ale, but most of the recipes I see use pilsner and less corn. It might end up closer to a real basic American Wheat if the wheat is the only flavor contributer.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:26:58 pm »
How did the sparge go? that's gotta be a sticky one!
I was really worried about this. I did a decoction mash-out and had trouble getting the thin wort to come through a strainer. Suprisingly the lauter went fine.

Must have helped that the first thing that went into the tun was a pound of rice hulls.  ;)