Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Possbile IPA recipe  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Possbile IPA recipe
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:09 pm »
US05 is my go to yeast. I have used S-04 but I just prefer American Style yeast. All in all, I would make your choice based on whether you would rather use an American or English yeast
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 09:10:52 pm »
I'm not opposed to either one, to my limited knowledge they both have neutral, crisp, dry finish. However, i guess for an American IPA US-05 would be the better style choice
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 10:08:11 am »
The time that I used S-04 I didn't think it was very neutral and was completely different than US-05. That being said, I personally don't like to use english yeasts often although a lot of breweries with beers I like use them. I think it may have something to do with filtration or something and that my beers have a lot of yeast left so it doesn't leave as clean of a finish.

I may be wrong but I thought US-05 is more attenuative then S-04 as well. That could be a big determining factor in your choice
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:14:30 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale