Author Topic: Conical Fermenters  (Read 8131 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
    • View Profile
Re: Conical Fermenters
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »

Agree.
Beer is low pH and it will "eat" your cooper coil.
[/quote]

Precisely what happens with an immersion chiller.  Hi temps with low pH results in the IC coming out shiny.  Low temps with low pH, such as in the conical, do not damage the beers.
On Tap: Barleywine, RIS, Scotch Ale, Wit, Blueberry Wit, Weizen, Dortmunder

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Conical Fermenters
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
As everone else has mentioned, you definitely do not want to be using copper post fermentation.

As far as conicals go, I had 4 forty-two gallon conicals and had four upright freezers that even at that size they would fit in. You definitely don't want to get a conical and then not have a temp controlled environment to keep it in. I think I spend $400 per piece for my uprights. That said, for homebrew, buckets and better bottles work for me.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
I have 5 of these [url]http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-IN0015-19[/url outfitted with racking arms and valves in the bottom.  They work great and fit perfectly in a medium size cabinet (upright) freezer.  Great for cold crashing and lagering.

Where did you get your racking arm and valves? Were they weldless so you just had to tighten them with a gasket? Did you just drill holes? Any info/pics would be great. I've always wanted a conical but the $700+ price tag has kept me at bay. This seems like a cheaper option.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
If yeast harvesting or dropping trub isn't part of your plan and you are looking at volumes less than 15 gallons, consider getting up to a 15 gallon cornelius keg for a couple of hundred bucks.  Cut an inch off the dip tube and put a collar on a chest freezer to control fermentation temperature.  At this volume, the shape is not important if you're not dumping trub or yeast out the bottom, it's stainless, has a keg lid to access like lots of the conicals, is easy to do closed transfer with CO2 on the gas line, and is easy to clean with a PBW soak. 

Only downside is the weight.  Had to put casters on the chest freezer and roll it to the brewstand with keg in place to fill after brewing.  But have used it for several years with great success.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!