Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chest Freezer/Keezer  (Read 7426 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Chest Freezer/Keezer
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:36:06 am »
Well my kegerator died on me last night. It was an upright fridge/freezer combo converted to hold corny kegs. I'd like to replace it with a chest freezer and temperature controller. I already have a love controller than I will be using but I'd like to know what size chest freezer would be best. I would like to fit at least 4 corny kegs on the floor with room on the compressor hump for CO2 and extra beer. I see some 7 cf ones out there for a decent price, would that work. I am going to visit the depots today and measure myself but I thought I'd get come opinions first.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:41:02 pm by brewmichigan »
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Chest Freeze/Keezer
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:50:41 am »
I can get 4 kegs flowing in a 7 cf model. My 20lb tank is outside.   If I were going to do what you describe, I would go with a 14 cf so you get some room to work with for storage.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:52:59 am »
Unless you definitely want something new, I bet you can find somthing on Craig's List that's bigger and less $$. 

+1 to having the storage space, or room for expansion! 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:39:05 am »
I've seen many on here suggest to place your kegs on some cardboard, trace the bottom and cut it out to make a template.  Make four and take to the store and place the templates inside the coolers to make sure they'll fit. 

+1 for Craigslist!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:40 am »
I've looked at craigslist in my area and they either seem to be very small (5cf) or too big. I don't want a 14 something cf model since this is going in the basement and I won't have that much room down there.

Doing some looking I think the 8.8cf model will fit my needs. I'll do the cardboard cutout and go to the store tonight.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:03:43 am »
Make sure you have enough vertical space for anything you might attach to your kegs.  If you are ever going to put carboys in it, make sure you account for the air lock, for instance.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:08:19 am »
I have 4 kegs (snug) on the floor of my 7 cu ft chest freezer, with the 5lb CO2 bottle inside on the hump.  I tried putting a keg on the hump with a 2 x 6 collar and it just misses with the QD on.  A 2 x 8 collar will allow me to put 2 more on the hump if I move the tank outside.

Also, Home Depot will routinely have the 7 cu ft chest freezer on sale for $168.00 with free shipping if you can wait.  If not, check at the local post office for the moving kits, as there are usually some 10% off coupons in there for HD or Lowes. ( Save a bunch on my John Deere lawn tractor using one of those ).

Edit:  My kegs are all Ball Lock
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:20:33 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------