Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FauxPils Faceoff  (Read 27995 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: FauxPils Faceoff
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »
Review them at your leisure. Whatever works for you guys is fine. About the heat: I've gotten feedback from one person so far, and they didn't mention any major flaws like skunking or anything like that, so I think they should be fine. It's not optimal, but that's what I get for doing this in July.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 01:23:04 pm »
Heat doesn't cause skunking...light does.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 01:23:31 pm »

What would heat cause?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »

What would heat cause?

quicker oxidation.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 03:40:01 pm »
I'm getting some good feedback so far. I'm working on synthesizing it into a useful format now. I'll have some charts and graphs when it's all done. I'll also release my detailed notes on recipe and process at that time. This thread is getting pretty long, so I'll probably start a new thread to house the results, and discussion of the results.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
FauxPils Faceoff
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 06:25:58 pm »

What would heat cause?

quicker oxidation.

Quicker everything. :-)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2012, 06:29:32 pm »
two down one to go. probably tonight and then i will type up my notes and pm them to you. will also include hard copy in the box i send back.
Don AHA member

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2012, 06:36:22 pm »
I really appreciate the chance to try so much great homebrew you guys are sending my way. I've been impressed by the beer's I've gotten so far. Red's Helles was especially good.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:44 am »
I really appreciate the chance to try so much great homebrew you guys are sending my way. I've been impressed by the beer's I've gotten so far. Red's Helles was especially good.

Thanks for the compliment!  I just emailed you my tasting notes / score sheets.  Looking forward to the conclusions....

-red

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
Had a chance to taste the beers last night! I will be sending over tasting notes tonight. Also have some fresh IPA and Saison and Oatmeal Stout going back into the plastic bottles you sent me this weekend and shipping to you Monday next week!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 07:00:06 am »
A quick note for those who still need to complete the feedback: If you can provide numerical "scores" for the individual categories, that may be helpful. I've gotten numbers from most of you already, so it may be interesting to see any trends in the hard numbers that might appear.

I know a lot of those scores depend on how "to style" the beer is. I don't want to influence your perceptions too much, so I'd say use your best judgment in deciding what style is most appropriate to compare it to.

I know I said I wasn't interested in scores, per se, so I hope this doesn't mess anyone up. If it turns out to not provide clear data, I'll omit them in the results.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:03:11 am by nateo »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2012, 07:50:16 am »
So if after tasting I had decided what style it best exemplified, then I should go back and score it per that style?  Kinda tricky, but I'll give that a go on my "score" sheets.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:07 am »
So if after tasting I had decided what style it best exemplified, then I should go back and score it per that style?  Kinda tricky, but I'll give that a go on my "score" sheets.

I know it's not ideal, and may in fact be problematic. I was just thinking about how I want to organize the data, and remembering things from the research methods and stats course I took in college.

I'm most interested in comparisons between the beers, and I'm assuming a high level of familiarity with beer in general. Since the difference may or may not be subtle, I'm interested in some sort of numerical scale for "how different/better/worse" they are. So let's say hypothetically a "perfect" light, malt-centric beer gets a 10 for mouthfeel. One of my beers was a 7 in comparison, and another of my beers was a 5 compared to the 7. Is that a feasible way to do that, or is that too confusing and/or arbitrary? 

If you don't feel like you can fairly evaluate them in those terms from your notes and your memory, let me know.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:53:28 am by nateo »

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:08 am »
To clarify what I'm looking for with the numbers: I'm interested in capturing the magnitude of difference and preference between the beers. Where the numbers fall on an absolute scale doesn't matter.

So for example, the "overall impressions" category on the BJCP sheet, a 10/10 and a 7/10 is just as useful as a 4/10 and a 1/10, as long as the relative score between the beers is internally consistent.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:35:52 am by nateo »

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »
i finished and sent my data.  i scored them based on what i thought especially the first beer tasted.  the remainder of samples i tried to provide comparative data to the first. 

i do want to complement Nateo on the samples provided.  good packaging in the bottles. the bottles are labeled with stars, circles, squares (at least mine)  this then is sampled randomly and not in any predisposed order that may be influenced by a, b,c or 1, 2, 3. 

i am going to be sending three beers (all different) to nateo this weekend (monday?) for general technique.  if one of the other participants in this trial is interested in getting a few let me know. by pm
Don AHA member