Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: thirsty in San Diego  (Read 6657 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
thirsty in San Diego
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:13 am »
Hi all...
I'm booked for appearances at Comic-Con 2012 in San Diego this weekend.
I don't have a car while I'm here, but am wondering if anyone can point me to a good beer destination or two near my hotel (the Hilton Bayfront) that I can hit after my work days are done.

P.S.  Comic-Con sure is a crazy place!!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: thirsty in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:37:02 am »
I was in SD last year and stayed @ the Holiday Inn on the Bay over by the Midway.  That was a short walking distance to Karl Strauss, which we went to a couple of times during our week long stay.  Good beer and good food.  From where you are staying, you can take the light rail to the Coaster Santa Fe station and walk two blocks to Karl Stauss. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:38:50 am »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
Way cool, Al!  You gonna wear a costume?  Pics?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:49:14 am »
http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=sandiego#lat=32.714438596190945&lng=-117.14592933654785&z=3

It is not a complete list but it should help you find something.

Nice, really could have used this when I was in SD.  Never seen this site before and now it's a bookmark in Google Chrome, my iPhone and iPad!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »
Way cool, Al!  You gonna wear a costume?  Pics?

Thanks Denny (and all who made beery recommendations).  There was certainly no shortage of great beer to be had.  Great beer town, without question. 

Actually Denny, I was hired by 20th Fox and the heirs of The Three Stooges to help promote the recent new 'Three Stooges' feature film's upcoming release on DVD.   I was in costume for several hours of each day I was there. And I got to traverse the convention center accompanied by 2 hot nuns in  bathing suits (it's sweaty work, but somebody has to do it).  :P
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/2012-comic-con-costumes-slideshow/the-three-stooges-found-some-friends-san-diego-comic-con-2012-photo-1342367138.html
 ::)

(for the last 16 years I've provided the voice for 'Larry' and  occasionally 'Moe' too for commercials, various merchandising involving voice chips, and  other promotional voiceover work involving the Stooges. Occasionally, working with two other actors as 'Moe' and 'Curly', we're sent by the heirs of the original Stooges do "personal appearances" for various industry events like this one).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:45:45 pm by The Professor »
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline WesKinetic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:01:57 pm »
I'll be out there next month for a couple days, and had planned to hit several of the breweries out there. Has anyone been to the White Labs tasting room? Kinda curious about checking that place out and was just curious if anyone had any insight.