Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pinkus Hefeweizen Clone Help  (Read 3557 times)

Offline microbusbrew

• 1st Kit
    • Microbus Brewery
Pinkus Hefeweizen Clone Help
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »
Does anyone have a Pinkus Hefeweizen recipe?  The brewer describes it as "Very light in body and color. Crisp, dry, spritzy, and refreshing unfiltered beer. Clean ale-yeast aroma and flavor, without the characteristic yeasty spiciness of a Bavarian wheat beer."
This is one of my favorite hefe's because (as the brewer indicates) it lacks the clove flavors associated with most hefe's.  I taste a lot of citrus flavors and with summer just around the corner I'd like to brew something similar.  I'm guessing it's a fairly basic wheat beer recipe and the trick is probably in the yeast that's used.  Anyone know what yeast is used and/or has anyone successfully cultured yeast from the bottle?  Thanks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Pinkus Hefeweizen Clone Help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »
I haven't had it but I imagine they just use a kolsch or American Ale yeast, both of which can tend to be poor flocculators leaving behind a cloudy beer. I make a Hoppy Wheat ale with Amarillo and US-05 that I really like during the summer sounds along similar lines.

You could just try emailing the brewery and see what they say - a lot can be very helpful.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:34:07 pm by majorvices »

Offline microbusbrew

• 1st Kit
    • Microbus Brewery
Re: Pinkus Hefeweizen Clone Help
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:01:36 pm »
thanks majorvices, i'll give that a try