Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing on the Ones Talk courtesy of Northern Brewer  (Read 3651 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Brewing on the Ones Talk courtesy of Northern Brewer
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:13:25 pm »
The fine folks at NB filmed my talk at NHC this year. They just put it up online.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/07/drew-beechums-brewing-on-the-ones/
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewing on the Ones Talk courtesy of Northern Brewer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »
But....but.....but....then we have to LOOK at you! 

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34:54 pm »
Great presentation Drew!  Wish I could have been there to taste the beer.  I've been brewing since October, and in life, I generally try to keep things simple.  I've adopted that to my brewing just so that I can get a feel for the process and also so that I can taste any changes that I make to my recipes.  It's really allowed me to also grasp what certain malts and hops do for the beer. 

I remember around January speaking w/ another homebrewer at a local brew competition (which I took 3rd in the "yellow beer" category) and he was showing me his Hefe recipe and it had about 4-5 different grains, 4 different hop additions and a dry hop.  Here I was with my simple wheat/pilsner bill w/ one dose of Hallertauer @ 60 min for my Hefe.  At that moment I felt that maybe I'm not putting enough effort into my recipes, but I continued to keep my recipes fairly simple.  So your presentation has given me a little reinforcement that maybe I'm doing alright w/ my brews by keeping them simple...although I do have a coconut milk stout that has rather large grain bill.  Every now and then it is fun to play mad scientist!  Also, it is amazing how a "simple" recipe can taste complex.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:31:02 am »
Nice talk Drew. I have the same problem as you with regards to hoarding supplies. I think for me it's more because of the shipping costs, I have to order in bulk.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:33:33 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:27:53 am »
I've been brewing this way for years now. My goal was simplification at all levels from ingredients to equipment.

Drew I particularly liked your pseudo decoction (making of the syrup) to enhance the brew yet remain within your criteria. Will have to try this.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis