Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: YIKES-Frozen Keg!  (Read 10340 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
YIKES-Frozen Keg!
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »
Just went to tap one of my lagers and found it frozen!  Not sure how or why as the other kegs are fine and this is the first time it has happened.  I'm letting it defrost at 64F.  Is it toast?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: YIKES-Frozen Keg!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 02:48:06 pm »
No...I had a keg of Kolsch freeze solid a few years ago and it turned out to be a very good beer.  It never really cleared but tasted great.  No worries there.
Ron Price

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »
Thanks Ron.  My plan is to leave it at 64F until it completely defrosts and then tap it and bring it down to 40F for serving.  Sound good to you?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:10:13 pm »
Thanks Ron.  My plan is to leave it at 64F until it completely defrosts and then tap it and bring it down to 40F for serving.  Sound good to you?

Dave

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 03:38:03 pm »
Just went to tap one of my lagers and found it frozen!  Not sure how or why as the other kegs are fine and this is the first time it has happened.  I'm letting it defrost at 64F.  Is it toast?

Dave

sounds like that one keg was to near the cold air input. I have heard people have good success with a little computer fan in the fridge to move the cold around a bit more.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:20 pm »
Is it toast?

Absolutely not. It's slush. :P

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:14:55 am »

Dave

sounds like that one keg was to near the cold air input. I have heard people have good success with a little computer fan in the fridge to move the cold around a bit more.

Mort, Sounds like exactly what I need.  Is it battery or direct wired?

And this morning, not only were my two new lagers bubbling away, but the keg was defrosted and tapped (and pretty tasty! ;D).  Will know more when I get back from the shore and have a proper tasting.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

Dave

Mort, Sounds like exactly what I need.  Is it battery or direct wired?

And this morning, not only were my two new lagers bubbling away, but the keg was defrosted and tapped (and pretty tasty! ;D).  Will know more when I get back from the shore and have a proper tasting.

Dave

Maybe euge willchime in with details, I think I remember him saying that he had that set up. I would think battery power would be cool, no wires, but they would conk out fast in the cold.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:02 pm »

I repurposed a carboy shield in my serving fridge and that did the trick.  Just bent it into a V shape where the cold air comes in.  So it sits in between the two rear kegs.  Works like a champ.

The one frozen keg I had, never returned to what it originally tasted like.  It was an IPA, was super cloudy and the taste was not great.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »
Cut the top off, stick a piece of rebar in there, and take your giant beersicle to a party.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 03:03:19 pm »
Cut the top off, stick a piece of rebar in there, and take your giant beersicle to a party.

NICE! 

I put it back in the fridge after defrosting, let it settle for 2 days and poured my first last night after a long business trip to Atlanta.  Not sure if it was the long day but it tasted pretty darn good!  Crystal clear too!  Go figure....in fact, I think I'll try it again now!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »
Perhaps a way to make an Eisbock?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:51:28 pm »
I wired up an old phone charger to a case fan. Works well and the cord is slim enough not to mess with the seal.

Anyway make sure you thaw the keg completely. You may be fooled if it starts to produce beer. My experience was that I got a nice bourbon for about 4 pints and when it actually finished thawing I had Schlitz left over to drink. :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline drmario47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 10:25:36 am »
Happens to me all the time, just thaw it out and your good :)

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »
Perhaps a way to make an Eisbock?

An Icehouse clone.