Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help! Kegging an English mild...  (Read 6075 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
Help! Kegging an English mild...
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »
Hey all, I'm kegging an English mild (3.5% abv) and it needs to be ready for a wedding on the 28th of July.

What volume of C02 should I shoot for? Part of me thinks a proper English ale should be on the low side but this needs to be a crowd pleaser on a hot day, with lots of people who aren't accustomed to drinking this style.

Should I go for the standard 3/4c priming sugar or make it even more fizzy and refreshing? Or about 1/2c to be closer to style?
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
Re: Help! Kegging an English mild...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:38:50 pm »
I'd say, shoot low then adjust up with the forced carb a few days before the wedding.  Much easier to adjust up than down.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:56:06 pm »
I haven't heard many people complain about beer being less carbonated than they want. Maybe shoot in the middle with 5/8?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:10:20 pm »
or just force carb to exactly the volume you want? I have not primed in a keg yet but I would worry about it not getting done and settled in 10 days.

I like slightly over the mid point for the style on british beers. There needs to be enough sparkle to wake the flavours up but not so much as to make it excessivly cleansing on the pallette.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:52:35 pm »
At room temp a Mild it will be carbonated in 3 days. I keg prime frequently but weigh my sugar. Measuring by "cups" is fraught with inconsistencies. Weigh. Weigh. Weigh!

I'd shoot for the middle range maybe 2.4 volumes. If you over-carbonate to please the American palate it will result in a harsh beer. Maybe no-one will notice but you will.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:28 pm »
At room temp a Mild it will be carbonated in 3 days. I keg prime frequently but weigh my sugar. Measuring by "cups" is fraught with inconsistencies. Weigh. Weigh. Weigh!

I'd shoot for the middle range maybe 2.4 volumes. If you over-carbonate to please the American palate it will result in a harsh beer. Maybe no-one will notice but you will.

Great advice. Lacking a scale, I still measured out the sugar but went a little below the standard 3/4 cup sugar recommended. I'm still getting used to kegging and have found most consistent results with priming and then topping off with a little extra CO2 if needed.

Thanks!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:28:16 am »
Here's my guide for fast - no hassle - force carbing. It's not the fastest or least attentive method, but it gets the job done.

1) Chill your beer overnight to a known temp (say 35)
2) Look up your desired CO2 level on a handy dandy carb chart (or in the software package of your choice)
3) Set your regulator to the recommended p.s.i. +1
4) hook up the gas to the gas in
5) put keg on side, gently roll back and forth for 10 minutes
6) done.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:10:37 pm »
Thanks Drew. This'll help next time I force carb.

Offline drmario47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:32:53 am »
Here's my guide for fast - no hassle - force carbing. It's not the fastest or least attentive method, but it gets the job done.

1) Chill your beer overnight to a known temp (say 35)
2) Look up your desired CO2 level on a handy dandy carb chart (or in the software package of your choice)
3) Set your regulator to the recommended p.s.i. +1
4) hook up the gas to the gas in
5) put keg on side, gently roll back and forth for 10 minutes
6) done.

Agreed, I do the same thing when I want my beer carbed ASAP. Works like a charm!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 06:34:14 pm »
Another very fast method is to set the CO2 pressure to 50psi on the keg and let it sit for 12 hours. Then reduce the pressure to recommended setting per style and you'll be at about 2 volumes +/- at 40F. No shake, rattle or roll involved with this method.
Ron Price