Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Krausen  (Read 8137 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Krausen
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:10:14 am »
I brewed a Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone 6 days ago.  The Krausen is still high and mighty.  The airlock has definately slowed down, but I'm wondering when that Krausen will fall.  I wanted to transfer to the secondary and dry hop on day 7, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the krausen to fall? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Krausen
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:52:24 am »
I brewed a Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone 6 days ago.  The Krausen is still high and mighty.  The airlock has definately slowed down, but I'm wondering when that Krausen will fall.  I wanted to transfer to the secondary and dry hop on day 7, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the krausen to fall?

The beer makes the schedule, not the calendar.  Wait for it to finish before dry opping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Krausen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:53:15 am »
Any reason why you're racking to secondary? I'd just dry hop in the primary unless you're planning on reusing the yeast. If you're absolutely set on a timetable, you can add the dry hops in the primary before the krausen falls. I've done this and the beer has been fine. I wouldn't rack to secondary if the primary fermentation is still chugging along, though.

If you're not on a strict timetable, I'd just be patient and let the yeast tell you when they're done.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Krausen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:19:26 pm »
Yeah, I'd just dry hop in primary. No need to secondary that beer.

Also, some of these lower floccing strains will leave krausen on top of the beer for several days after fermentation is actually finished. You can swirl the fermenter to knock down some of the yeast and make sure you take a hydrometer reading to be sure.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »
Another vote for dry hop in primary.  Just open her up and drop the pellets right in.  I usually wait about two weeks, then dry hop for 7-10 days and rack to keg. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
Any reason why you're racking to secondary? I'd just dry hop in the primary unless you're planning on reusing the yeast. If you're absolutely set on a timetable, you can add the dry hops in the primary before the krausen falls. I've done this and the beer has been fine. I wouldn't rack to secondary if the primary fermentation is still chugging along, though.

If you're not on a strict timetable, I'd just be patient and let the yeast tell you when they're done.

I was gonna rack to the secondary because I read in the latest zymurgy that the yeast and trub extract a fair bit of the hop oils.  Any comment?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:00:32 pm »
I was gonna rack to the secondary because I read in the latest zymurgy that the yeast and trub extract a fair bit of the hop oils.  Any comment?

My understanding of that article is that when the yeast and trub drop out of suspension, the drag hop oils out with them, which is why it is recommended to wait until fermentation is finished, and the yeast have dropped out before dry hopping. I dry hop in primary all the time, and I have seen no issues.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »

My understanding of that article is that when the yeast and trub drop out of suspension, the drag hop oils out with them, which is why it is recommended to wait until fermentation is finished, and the yeast have dropped out before dry hopping. I dry hop in primary all the time, and I have seen no issues.

+1  I've always dry hopped in "primary" and have yet racked to a secondary to dry hop, so I couldn't honestly say whether racking to a secondary to dry hop is better.  I will say that my dry hopped beers have  turned out great w/ great hop aroma.  Maybe someone else has dry hopped both in primary and secondary and can let us know of any difference.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:01:28 am »
I recently switched from dry hopping in a secondary to a primary and a little difference. In fact I think primary is a bit better. It doesn't allow as much oxygen into the beer which can "stale' the hop aroma a bit. Ive noticed a bit fresher less "vegetal" hop aroma.

Also to the OP, some yeast strains take forever to drop krausen, I had a batch made with 1469 hold kruasen for nearly a month! Take a gravity reading, swirl the krausen down a bit. If the gravity is close to where it needs to be you should be ok to dry hop.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:21:56 pm »
I recently switched from dry hopping in a secondary to a primary and a little difference. In fact I think primary is a bit better. It doesn't allow as much oxygen into the beer which can "stale' the hop aroma a bit. Ive noticed a bit fresher less "vegetal" hop aroma.

Also to the OP, some yeast strains take forever to drop krausen, I had a batch made with 1469 hold kruasen for nearly a month! Take a gravity reading, swirl the krausen down a bit. If the gravity is close to where it needs to be you should be ok to dry hop.

yeah, that Krausen is not going anywhere.  I'm guessing that the fermentation is done.  I was wondering if dry hopping on all that krausen would effect the ability of the hop oils to dissolve/do their thing. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 05:45:01 pm »
yeah, that Krausen is not going anywhere.  I'm guessing that the fermentation is done.  I was wondering if dry hopping on all that krausen would effect the ability of the hop oils to dissolve/do their thing.

You using cones or pellets? Pellets should drop right in. Cones may sit on top for a bit, but eventually they'll sink through/absorb the krausen.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 06:32:35 pm »

You using cones or pellets? Pellets should drop right in. Cones may sit on top for a bit, but eventually they'll sink through/absorb the krausen.
Pellets.  I'll just go ahead and take everyones' advice that it's ok to just add the dry hops to the primary.  My gravity was perfect.  I am a little disappointed that I didn't taste more hop bitterness.