Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Homebrewers" (insert eyeroll)  (Read 25327 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
"Homebrewers" (insert eyeroll)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »
And I am glad that the picture of you in that hat made it to the AHA forums, so everyone can see how hideous it is.

You misspelled "awesome". ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

Re: "Homebrewers" (insert eyeroll)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »
I think "that guy" can exist on either side of the bar.  You can have an opinion, but that's different from being clueless and vocal at the same time.

narvin

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »

Also, I can attest that Sean likes to talk about beer. And I am glad that the picture of you in that hat made it to the AHA forums, so everyone can see how hideous it is.

I have a picture with Sean in that hat from Seattle, but I haven't posted it.  Problem is, I look like more of a douche than he does!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »
"that guy" can also go by the name of "Mr. Know-it-all"...never mind, it reminded me of a Stevie Wonder song.
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
Now that I have enough brews under my belt to feel like I'm pretty comfortable with certain styles of beer, I often have beers that are completely not my taste or seem like something's off. Usually I can place my finger on it (i.e., too much crystal malt in pale ales). Sometimes I can't quite nail it down (i.e., something's going on with the yeast/fermentation).

Even if I don't like a beer, I think it's absurd to bust a guy's balls about it. Obviously he knows how to make beer that people enjoy or else he won't be in business long. I usually take it as an opportunity to talk shop with the brewer. If there's something I don't like in a beer, I generally ask as much detail about it without letting on that I'm not a fan. This way I'll learn exactly what not to do in my own brews.

Either way, no need to be a prick about things regardless of what side of the bar you're on.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »
"Stupid is as stupid does." 

One of the most liberating points in life is when you reach the point where others' opinions of you no longer affect your self worth.  Hopefully that point comes early in your life.  If you are happy with yourself and satisfied that you are living by your own values, who gives a s*** how others judge you (or your work)?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:56 pm »
I was at a brewery that made a cream ale that was harsh and unpleasant. Their water hardness was 246mg/L. I mentioned that to the brewer, and he basically said he didn't care what I thought. I'm sure he thought I was "that guy," but I'm also sure I was right. Being a wanker and being right aren't mutually exclusive. If you don't want feedback from the public, stop talking to the public.

Perhaps, in this case,  the brewer may have known what the problem was, but didn't have a means to fix it. Commercial brewers brew under different constraints than homebrewers. It's why I only brew certain style of beers at my location. "That guy" thinks he knows f'ing everything. But he doesn't really know sh!t. Don't be that guy. And don't make assumptions, either.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:10:05 pm by majorvices »

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 01:44:54 am »

One of the most liberating points in life is when you reach the point where others' opinions of you no longer affect your self worth.  Hopefully that point comes early in your life.  If you are happy with yourself and satisfied that you are living by your own values, who gives a s*** how others judge you (or your work)?

+like a million

Of course it needs balance, otherwise you go too far off the other side and wind up looking self-centered. But in my experience, knowing enough and having enough experience to be comfortable confidant, that's a big thing.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:56 am »
Well, FWIW, the only opinions of me that matter are from my friends and family. It's not a "self worth" thing. I'm not adversly affected by critiques. Hell, I'm also a graphic designer. Talk about people being critical!

All I'm saying is, as homebrewers, we should be careful about assuming we know more than the commercial brewer. It makes us look silly and it makes commercial brewers hesitant to interact with homebrewers.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:33:58 am by majorvices »

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 07:33:03 am »
Well, FWIW, the only opinions of me that matter are from my friends and family. It's not a "self worth" thing. I'm not adversly affected by critiques. Hell, I'm also a graphic designer. Talk about people being critical!

No doubt you see how folks are often quick to criticize and reluctant to praise hard work.

I have in my office a quote from President Teddy Roosevelt, who said that “It is not the critic who counts … the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena”. I firmly believe in that sentiment.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:12 am »

Once I hit 60, I completely embraced that philosophy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 10:23:33 am »
I know someone like this.  He's a family member, and him and I were talking about Brewing and he was very quick to point out what was wrong with my entire process, or what he thought was wrong.  Just solidifed the fact that there's more than one way to do something, and if the things he does work for him, fine.  Personally I'm not gonna put any beer in a bottle that hasn't been hit with StarSan but that's just me. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
Believe me, 90% of the time I'm ecstatic to talk beer with anyone, for any length of time (as anyone I met at NHC can probably attest).

OMG...you're a real person!!!!!  I thought you were just some loquacious incarnation of beer verbosity created to entertain people at the NHC. ;-)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:55:54 am by dbeechum »
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:25 am »

Once I hit 60, I completely embraced that philosophy.

I try to stay within a stone's throw of this philosophy.  Although, sometimes I may get sidetracked by some negative comments, but often times I'm able to reel myself back in and avoid being drawn into such
nonsense. Avoiding this kind of exchange is condusive to my livelyhood.  :)
Ron Price

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:16 am »
My momma always told me "You can learn something from everyone." 99% of whatever anyone says on any topic is probably bulls***, but if you can stand to wade through the muck, everyone has a diamond or two hidden in there somewhere.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.