Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RIP Jon Lord - Deep Purple keyboardist dead at 71  (Read 4655 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
RIP Jon Lord - Deep Purple keyboardist dead at 71
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:22:50 pm »
I'm raising a pint to one of the early musicians who challenged and redefined the roll of the keyboard and organ in rock music.  He used to pump hammond-leslie organ sound through marshall full stack amplification getting that huge 70s style distortion to have his organ get that heavy sound. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93pE3npDRRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6x8GGXrCFQ

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: RIP Jon Lord - Deep Purple keyboardist dead at 71
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:39 pm »
My condolences to his family and to Denny to losing a friend. It seems to me alot of my friends are losing their friends these days, do your family a favor and go get a health check up, If not for your family do it for your friends!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:23 am »
I was just but a wee lad, but it's comforting to know that there was a time in my life when keyboards + rock did not = suck

RIP to a true legend and innovator.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:56 am »
RIP Jon.  Definitely an innovator.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:19:05 am »
My condolences to his family and to Denny to losing a friend. It seems to me alot of my friends are losing their friends these days, do your family a favor and go get a health check up, If not for your family do it for your friends!

Unfortunately, I didn't know him.  But just the mention of his name brings back the sound of the organ in "Hush".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:13:13 am »
Definitely an inovative sound that will be remembered.  I enjoyed his music.  R.I.P Jon.
Ron Price

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »
Being a musician myself, Jon was one of my musical heroes. RIP to one of the MOST IMPORTANT pioneers in rock and metal history. He was the sound of Deep Purple and metal in the 70s as far as im concerned.

Guess we'll never see Ritchie get out of the medieval garb and throw a strat on with Jon next to him.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.