Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White labs Burton ale  (Read 4048 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
White labs Burton ale
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:03:00 pm »
This yeast is the only one I have ever used that has a true top fermenting cake. I brewed a little 1.035 ordinary last weekend to grow yeast for an old ale this weekend. I kegged the ordinary yesterday to harvest the yeast, it was done and cold crashed for 2 days but the yeast cake was floating on top still! so I swirled and broke everything up and split the slurry between 2 pint jars and 1 quart jar and stuck them in the fridge. This morning there is a distinct yeast cake floating on top of each bottle. how the heck am I going to decant?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Re: White labs Burton ale
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »
Sanitize a spoon and scoop it off. Is there a bed of yeast at the bottom of the jars too?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »
I said to heck with it and just pitched it all in. The beer it was coming out of was good, the beer it's going into is an old ale, so if there is a hint of oxidation it's not the end of the world.

Pitched yesterday afternoon will check tonight when I get home to see if I have a new floating yeast cake. kind of cool to see a true top fermenter like that though.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »
I dig this strain. Use it in an English IPA with all Fuggle hops and it comes out great. Threw a ton of sulfur for me though for a day or 2 during fermentation. Did you experience this?
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:38:18 pm »
Not that I noticed but I more our less ignore the beer for a week our so after pitching. I also state aerate well even on small beers and use nutrient. Didn't make a starter for this batch.

**EDIT cause my phone thinks it knows what I want to say better than I do***
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:41:11 am by morticaixavier »
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:23:25 am »
Not that I noticed but I more our less ignore the beer for a week our so after pitching. I also state well even on small beers and use nutrient. Didn't make a starter for this batch.

I do too, but man I could smell the sulfur coming out of my chamber for that day. Stunk up the whole back side of my house! FWIW...the sulfur was gone in a day and the beer came out great. Just curious if that was everyone else's experience with the yeast. I did make a starter and pitched it into an 1.065 english ipa
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:31:33 am »
Ive noticed the sulfur with Wyeast 1968 as well.

I opened the ferm chamber when my gf was around - she gave me the "did YOU do that?" look...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/