Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2124 @ ale temps  (Read 7816 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Wyeast 2124 @ ale temps
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »
Preliminary results are in - Fermenting at ale temps with 2124 results in a very clean beer.  I used it in an "Oktoberfest."  I used 2 smack packs and made about a 1.5 L starter.  OG was 1.052, FG is sitting at 1.010 on the nose.  Fermented at about 62-64 for 2 weeks, and in week 3 let the temp rise up to 68.  Will bottle it probably Thursday night. 

Anyone thinking of trying this, I highly recommend it.  Just my 2 cents.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Wyeast 2124 @ ale temps
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »
2124 is my go to lager yeast when I brew German style lagers.  It is an excellent yeast.  I'm not surprised it is well behaved at ale fermentation temps too.

Of course when I brew with it I wear sweaters with elbow patches, quote beat poetry, and drink coffee from a bowl-sized mug.    8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:07:16 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard mixed things on this strain at ale temps, but I will definitely look into it in the near future. I have a starter of 2633 crashing as we speak for my Ofest, but if I can cheat a bit and only need to keep my swamp cooler in the low 60s instead of 50 I will probably use 2124 for my future "lagers".

Anyone ever use 2124 in a dopplebock?

Of course when I brew with it I wear sweaters with elbow patches, quote beat poetry, and drink coffee from a bowl-sized mug.    8)

I know what I know, if you know what I mean.

Hmm... this could get real obscure real fast...

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:22:56 pm »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:29:58 am »
Preliminary results are in - Fermenting at ale temps with 2124 results in a very clean beer.  I used it in an "Oktoberfest."  I used 2 smack packs and made about a 1.5 L starter.  OG was 1.052, FG is sitting at 1.010 on the nose.  Fermented at about 62-64 for 2 weeks, and in week 3 let the temp rise up to 68.  Will bottle it probably Thursday night. 

I just want to point out for people that you are pitching at higher than normal ale rates for that beer, which will also affect the flavor and make it cleaner.  If you used the same yeast in all respects as if it were an ale yeast (ale pitching rates and temps) you might have different results.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:42:11 am »
What temp did you pitch at? I was thinking of getting down as close to 45 as I can to pitch, then let it rise to about 60-62 and hold the temp there.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:35:18 am »

I just want to point out for people that you are pitching at higher than normal ale rates for that beer, which will also affect the flavor and make it cleaner.  If you used the same yeast in all respects as if it were an ale yeast (ale pitching rates and temps) you might have different results.

Agreed. We had a commercial brewery that brewed an "aleger" - a beer with lager yeast fermenting at ale temperatures. It was TERRIBLE.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:49:40 pm »
What temp did you pitch at? I was thinking of getting down as close to 45 as I can to pitch, then let it rise to about 60-62 and hold the temp there.

I pitched probably at 60, 62?  Getting the tap water cold enough has been a pain in the rear my bast two batches, and I unfortunately don't have a pre-chiller (yet, its on the to do...).  But it's also the reason I haven't brewed anything more.
Homebrewed since 2010