General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

A "modified" starter

(1/4) > >>

edward:
I made a newbie mistake last week when I bought supplies for this weeks 10 gallon batch of pilsner and I dont have quite enough DME for the starter.  Mr. Malty recommends a 5.7 liter starter and I only have enough DME for 5 quarts (4.7 liters) at 1.040.  I dont have a stir plate so I use the intermittent shaking method.

My question is this:  Would adding corn sugar or brown sugar to the starter hurt the vitality of the yeast during the fermentation?  I can add plenty of yeast nutrient in the starter to help make up for not using DME. If I do add sugar to the starter it would be ~18% of the total fermentables in the container.

Is there a type of sugar that I should or should not be used?  Would my 4.7 liter starter be big enough?

ndcube:
If you have some hopbags maybe mash a small amount of grain in a pot to get some wort.

tygo:
What's the projected OG and what yeast are you going to be using?

hokerer:

--- Quote from: edward on February 11, 2010, 05:54:55 AM ---I made a newbie mistake last week when I bought supplies for this weeks 10 gallon batch of pilsner and I dont have quite enough DME for the starter.  Mr. Malty recommends a 5.7 liter starter and I only have enough DME for 5 quarts (4.7 liters) at 1.040.

--- End quote ---

That's the top end of the range.  Starter wort should be between 1.030 and 1.040 so maybe you could just use a little more water and get the volume you want of 1.030 wort (disclaimer: haven't done (too lazy) the calculations)

hamiltont:

--- Quote from: hokerer on February 11, 2010, 07:08:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: edward on February 11, 2010, 05:54:55 AM ---I made a newbie mistake last week when I bought supplies for this weeks 10 gallon batch of pilsner and I dont have quite enough DME for the starter.  Mr. Malty recommends a 5.7 liter starter and I only have enough DME for 5 quarts (4.7 liters) at 1.040.

--- End quote ---

That's the top end of the range.  Starter wort should be between 1.030 and 1.040 so maybe you could just use a little more water and get the volume you want of 1.030 wort (disclaimer: haven't done (too lazy) the calculations)

--- End quote ---

Good point!!  I use a ratio of 3 oz. DME per quart (after boil) for starters. ~1.034. Never had a problem with it & save a few pennys along the way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version