Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison help  (Read 6904 times)

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Saison help
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of a Saison this weekend and it is happily fermenting away in my basement in two separate carboys.  The yeast is a blended strain that was given to me by a local brewpub and made a wonderfully spicy Saison. 

I am going to let 5 gallons ferment plain but I was thinking about adding a fruit to the other carboy.  I was thinking maybe apricots. 

Any suggestions as to how much to add to the secondary or another suggestion of something to add?

Thanks
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Saison help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:47:45 pm »
Apricots are nice but you will need a lot of them to gain any noticeable flavor. At least 10 pounds for a five gallon batch.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:52:21 pm »
Apricots are nice but you will need a lot of them to gain any noticeable flavor. At least 10 pounds for a five gallon batch.

That is kind of what I have been reading/seeing.  I was thinking of using the frozen, unsweetened, thawed apricots and blended with a little RO water added to the secondary. 
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:13:10 pm »
Yeah - puree is the way to go.

The first time I used peaches I chopped them and pushed them through the neck of the carboy. I worked for HOURS getting them out after racking off!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:27:07 pm »
I just brewed an apricot wheat. I racked it on 2 lbs pureed apricots with their stones in the carboy. It was already a bit tart with the addition of acid malt in the grain bill but the apricots brought up the tartness to the point that it now tastes like a really clean sour wheat with a hint of apricot. Really nice!

Good luck! Apricot saison sounds great! Post updates with tasting notes.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!