Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator/Lager Fermentation Chamber?  (Read 5481 times)

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
Kegerator/Lager Fermentation Chamber?
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »
So, I've been wanting to do a lager for some time, but the low fermentation temp has scared me away.  I've been experimenting with my kegerator fridge's temperatures.  I dropped the fridge down to the lowest (warmest) setting, but it was still running a bit too cold.  So, I dropped my freezer down to the lowest (warmest) setting, and now my fridge is consistently around 58-59 degrees.   Is there any reason why I shouldn't try and ferment a lager (1/2 barrel keg) in my kegerator fridge?

Thanks!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kegerator/Lager Fermentation Chamber?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:58:22 pm »
Not at all.  But I would buy a temperature controller first.  It's about $80, but well worth it if you want to start making lagers.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:02:44 pm »
So, I've been wanting to do a lager for some time, but the low fermentation temp has scared me away.  I've been experimenting with my kegerator fridge's temperatures.  I dropped the fridge down to the lowest (warmest) setting, but it was still running a bit too cold.  So, I dropped my freezer down to the lowest (warmest) setting, and now my fridge is consistently around 58-59 degrees.   Is there any reason why I shouldn't try and ferment a lager (1/2 barrel keg) in my kegerator fridge?

Thanks!

I say go for it.  You could try one of the "hybrid" yeasts like 2112(Cali Steam) or 2565(Kolsch) since it looks like you can hold your temp just under 60 df. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:38:34 pm »
Sounds good.  Thanks!  I've grazed over temp controllers before, but have never looked into them too deeply.  Are they a pain in the a** to install? 

Offline danielscottwoods

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:26:41 pm »
Sounds good.  Thanks!  I've grazed over temp controllers before, but have never looked into them too deeply.  Are they a pain in the a** to install?

No, your fridge or freezer plugs into the controller, and then just run the probe under the weatherstriping,  plug the controller in and set the temp.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:09:20 am »
Invest in the type without the thin copper tube. If you crimp it it f##ks it up. So far I've avoided that but wish that I'd spent $20 dollars more for something more flexible.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:10:09 am »
+1 - test with the controller first. You'll need one, anyway. Great investment.

Remember you don't just need to control the air temp, you need to control the wort temp as it heats up during log phase. Some yeasts can put off a lot of heat, so try a kolsch at 62F and see if you can keep it under control first.

You may just be getting that low because your fridge is turning itself off. If its accessible, pull the thermister out of the inside of the fridge so you're controlling the cycles, not the fridge.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »
Definitely sounds like the way to go.