Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cherries  (Read 21361 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Cherries
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40:07 am »
I'm from Indiana - I think we get most all of our crop from Michigan.

There were a LOT of stands with Bings in STL, though. I don't know if they grow them in Missouri or if the farmers just all purchase from the north.
The tart cherry crop in MI was 90% wiped out by the March hot weather followed by the freeze.

that's right, I remember hearing about that. that is rough. Cherry pie will be at a premium this year

So does Bell's Cherry Stout go up in price as well? Its usually a splurge of mine - its one fine fruit beer.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 01:38:57 pm »
Picked up 13 lbs of sour cherries at the farmer's market this morning.  Glad I got to it today since the guy said this was the last weekend for them.  Got them rinsed, bagged, and in the freezer until the August brew day.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:47 pm »
The tart cherry crop in Michigan has been projected to be about a 2 million pound harvest. This compares to a 92 million pound harvest last year. It is worse than they thought. From the local radio report.

I don't know what Bells will do for the Cherry Stout.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 10:17:18 am »
Ontario's just as bad off as Michigan (cherry wise, not our economy :)  )
I'll be switching my fruit beer needs to raspberries this year (assuming they didn't take a s**t kicking too).

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 12:48:25 pm »
I'll be switching my fruit beer needs to raspberries this year (assuming they didn't take a s**t kicking too).

Michigan's economy is picking up. Of course we were first into bad times and got in pretty deep. So it might not look great here from outside the state, but it looks better from here,  and we no longer have the highest unemployment in the USA. 2 of the closed bars/restaurants have reopened, the other 2 will be open by the end of the month. The main steet in town does not look so bad now. 

Two new houses have been started close to my house. The guy 2 doors down that moving sold his in 2 weeks. Let me tell you that neither of those would have happened here 3 years ago.

To keep it beer related, one of the places opening soon is a multitap. 30 taps and 3 beer engines planed. The owner was involved in a successful place not far from here, so this could be a good thing!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:12 pm »

Michigan's economy is picking up. Of course we were first into bad times and got in pretty deep. So it might not look great here from outside the state, but it looks better from here,  and we no longer have the highest unemployment in the USA. 2 of the closed bars/restaurants have reopened, the other 2 will be open by the end of the month. The main steet in town does not look so bad now. 

Two new houses have been started close to my house. The guy 2 doors down that moving sold his in 2 weeks. Let me tell you that neither of those would have happened here 3 years ago.

To keep it beer related, one of the places opening soon is a multitap. 30 taps and 3 beer engines planed. The owner was involved in a successful place not far from here, so this could be a good thing!

Glad to hear things are coming around.  I drive through MI a lot and I must admit, it was looking pretty bleak in some places so that's encouraging news. 

More encouraging, I can tell you that there is no where near my place with 30 taps and 3 beer engines so that's one thing you've got over us here.  Keep up the good work.  Now, does this place offer an AHA discount?

Given that there's only a few hundred yards of water between you guys and us, whatever hits your agriculture hits ours just as hard so I don't think I see much cherry beer or cider in either of our futures this year. 

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 01:22:31 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on Cherries...my favorite fruit, my favorite pie, and my favorite fruit beer (Kriek) (albiet a buzzkill on the harvest and avaliablity this year)...and thanks for the economic update on Michigan.  The promising news from there portends a better economy for the country....a lot of stuff is still designed and made (as well as grown and brewed and mined) there (including myself).

The beer in Michigan has exploded in quantity and quality over the last decade as well.  Perhaps I should reconsider moving home.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on Cherries...my favorite fruit, my favorite pie, and my favorite fruit beer (Kriek) (albiet a buzzkill on the harvest and avaliablity this year)...and thanks for the economic update on Michigan.  The promising news from there portends a better economy for the country....a lot of stuff is still designed and made (as well as grown and brewed and mined) there (including myself).

The beer in Michigan has exploded in quantity and quality over the last decade as well.  Perhaps I should reconsider moving home.

Let me be clear and say that the local economy is not booming, but it is better. It is like when you have a nice week in March, and you can tell the weather is getting better.

There are breweries popping up all over.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 02:26:19 pm »
No, not booming, but improving (unless we are talking about the beer scene).  I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise....but improvement in Michigan means people are buying cars and investing in new technologies and research which moves many industries and resource generation throughout this country.  It is a leading indicator.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 05:19:07 pm »
How about the GDP as a leading indicator?  Does that include the cherry crop?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »
Pulled a hydrometer sample on the beer I'm fermenting with BM45. Big cherry flavor. Like, maybe too much cherry. Pretty crazy.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:11 am »
After the NHC we went out to the Yakima Valley. The guy at the B&B said that they were having a bumper crop of cherries this year. Good news that someone can take up the shortfall from MI.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 03:29:28 pm »
The wife just got back from the farmers market, adn was happy to have found Michigan tart cherries for the Rumtopf she has going. Only $7.50 a quart, ouch.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 10:58:12 pm »
the cost this year negates my cherry purchase  :'(
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.