Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpooling question  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Whirlpooling question
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:22:32 am »
I use a blichmann hopblocker in my BK. It is fairly effective at straining hops/trub out as it pumps to my fermenter. my only complaint is i still lose some wort in the process.
I was wondering if whirl-pooling might work better. Trouble is the hop blocker creates too much turbulance in the kettle.
I was thinking about removing the hop blocker and giving the wort a gentle stir before pumping through the (CF) chiller. Then I thought, what if I recirculate the wort through the chiller and back into the kettle till pitching temp is hit, then transfer. It will probably take longer to cool, but adding cooled wort back to hot wort mess up the cold break? Would it be better to stir, wait to settle then pump/chill, or recirculate with out chill water?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
Re: Whirlpooling question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:54 am »
You will actually get a better cold break in the kettle if you get to pitching temps there.  If you set up your recirc return so it generates a whirlpool, you can get the best of both worlds for the most part.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:12:42 am »
You will actually get a better cold break in the kettle if you get to pitching temps there.  If you set up your recirc return so it generates a whirlpool, you can get the best of both worlds for the most part.
So, Recirculate down to pitching temp then pump to fermenter yes?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:35:48 am »
That's what I'd do in that situation.  Should leave a similar amount of break material in the kettle like you would get with an immersion chiller.