Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5.2 PH Mash Stabilizer??  (Read 19701 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
5.2 PH Mash Stabilizer??
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:19:42 pm »
My LHBS owner swears by this stuff.  Doesn't seem possible that you could have a universal water treatment for all mashes, guaranteed to bring them to 5.2 PH.  What do you guys know about this product?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: 5.2 PH Mash Stabilizer??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31:46 pm »
Does your LHBS owner have a pH meter?  ;)

AJ DeLange said at the NHC that it will keep the mash from dropping below 5.2. That might be the only thing it does.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »
It doesn't help (raise mash pH) if your water has low residual alkalinity and you want to brew a dark beer.
Brew on

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:25:25 pm »
I typically have to raise my pH in my mash, and have found that this product doesn't really do anything for me. YMMV, though.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:10 pm »
My personal hero Kai Troester said it's mostly sodium, and it might keep your mash pH from rising over 5.8, at best, but probably doesn't do anything. It definitely adds about 100ppm of sodium to your beer. So, if you like salty beer, 5.2 stabilizer is really cool. In fact, it's the best!

It's just not physically possible to make a phosphate buffer that buffers to 5.2, end of story.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 05:13:15 am »
As AJ says: 5.2 works great for brewers that don't check pH and doesn't work at all for those that do check. 

A smart brewer learns to properly manage their mash pH.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 07:33:01 am »
Salts do more than affect the pH.  They also add flavor.

Do you like the taste of sodium phosphate?

Consider other ways of managing pH that are less detrimental to the flavor profile of your finished beer.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:57:23 am »
Not only did it not control pH for me, it gave my beer a weird(er) taste.  Is that Bob you're talking about, Jim?  You should know better than to listen to him.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:49:51 pm »
Not only did it not control pH for me, it gave my beer a weird(er) taste.  Is that Bob you're talking about, Jim?  You should know better than to listen to him.

Of course, it was Bob!  Ha!  I know he's a salesman first.  I'd just never heard of a "one size fits all" mash treatment.  Give me some credit, man. ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:53:01 pm »

Of course, it was Bob!  Ha!  I know he's a salesman first.  I'd just never heard of a "one size fits all" mash treatment.  Give me some credit, man. ;)

I do....I really doubted that you took him seriously.  If you wanna try the stuff, I have most of a container that I'll never use that you can have....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 02:22:03 pm »
Bold City brewing here in Jax uses it. I don't think I know enough about tasting beer to say it has any kind of effect, though.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 04:20:13 pm »
used to don't no mo...got some comments about mineral finish on a couple beers
was not a bad thing to me but now i opt for a couple handfuls of acid malt in the mash
fwiw
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:50:43 am »
Bold City brewing here in Jax uses it.

I haven't had their beer, but I think using 5.2 is one of the few things in brewing that is objectively, unequivocally, just plain wrong. You might be able to use it and make good beer , but it's certainly not good because of the 5.2, it's good despite the 5.2. It goes to show you that just because someone is a "pro" doesn't necessarily mean they know the best way to do something.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:21 am »
Doesn't work for me. I tried it thinking it was going to be the "miracle elixer" for my mash pH. Nope, didn't do a dang thing for me. However - using phosphoric acid, lactic acid and chalk all are ways to bring your mash pH into an acceptable range that actually works.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »
Ill second what most have said. I personally dont care for the taste of sodium phosphate in my beer...bleh. Thats about all the stuff is good for is adding sodium.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.