Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: determining alcohol potential using Promash  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
determining alcohol potential using Promash
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:39:50 pm »
When I add Lactose or milk sugar to a recipe Promash seems to think the Extract points is going to raise my %ABV. Am I missing something? Is there somewhere in the defaults or ingredients database to determine or distinguish what the fermentable vs. non fermentables are in a given extract sugar or grain?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: determining alcohol potential using Promash
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:39:05 am »
If you go into the malt database and choose sugar, highlite the sugar you want, then on the right hand side click on edit.
From there you can change the gravity potential for that sugar.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:58:33 am »
If you go into the malt database and choose sugar, highlite the sugar you want, then on the right hand side click on edit.
From there you can change the gravity potential for that sugar.

but hi doesn't want to change the gravity potential, it really does add gravity points, it just doesn't add ABV points as it doesn't ferment. that does seem wierd. I don't use promash and have not used lactose in beersmith but it seems like an ingredient database should include a factor for fermentability. At least with sugars. I grant that grain is harder as the fermentability is affected by the mash regimine but sugars should be simple enough.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:36:54 am »
Since the OP is trying to predict the ABV and the lactose/milk sugar has little or no fermentability, then reducing the gravity points that Promash predicts it will add should bring the Promash prediction of the ABV closer to actual.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

narvin

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:04:10 am »
FG estimates are just that - estimates.  They are based on the rated attenuation range for the yeast, which is really just a way to compare it to other yeasts.  There are too many factors in your ingredients and process to give a real FG value based on a recipe.

I didn't think ProMash did FG or ABV estimates. The only thing I see is an ABV value based on your recorded actual FG which you need to enter manually (under the Fermentation tab of the Session screen).  If you are using something like lactose and want to take that into account for an estimate, you can increase your FG value in the Fermentation screen by the same number of points that the lactose contributes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:06:26 am by narvin »