Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mash temp readings  (Read 2349 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
mash temp readings
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:01 pm »
how should I be reading these temps?  on Monday I brewed a porter. the thermometer on my kettle read one number while my floating thermometer read almost 10 degrees less. they have both been calibrated recently. I feel like I'm mixing my mash well(I biab 3 gallon batches and don't close off my bag so I can stir well) and have constructed a jacket for my kettle to hold in the heat. I hit 68% efficiency. I'm happy with this number seeing as it's only my 3rd all grain. anyway, wondering if I can gain a few extra points by properly measuring my mash temp.

cheers!

ryan
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: mash temp readings
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »
hitting mash temp and ph will both improve efficiency.  that said i wouldn't sweat 68 % if you are consistent.  check your thermometers in a quart of boiling water. remove from heat and let both thermometers remain in the water.  watch the temperatures of each as the water is allowed to cool to ambient. stir it briefly before recording the temps.  see if the two thermometers actually track, especially as you drift through the mash temp range of say 170-140.  if they are within a few degrees through this range, then you have a stratification issue.
Don AHA member