Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewpubs in Culpeper, VA?  (Read 4120 times)

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
Brewpubs in Culpeper, VA?
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:54:42 pm »
Heading out on a business trip to Culpeper, VA. Any recommendations on brewpubs to hit?
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Brewpubs in Culpeper, VA?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:27:48 am »
I think you are SOL.

You can drive over to Fredericksburg and there is a Capital Ale House

Or down to Charlottesville and not too far away in Crozet is Starr Hill (not a brewpub, but has a tasting room). If you do hit Charlottesville, my favorite watering holes are Timberwood Grill, Mellow Mushroom and Beer Run. I haven't been to Michael's in forever and I hear good things about Horse & Hound Gastropub. South Street is a brewpub in Cville, but I haven't been there in a very long time.

If you feel like driving a little further you can go to Blue Mountain Brewery (brewpub) or Devil's Backbone (brewpub) and there is one called Wild Wolf (brewpub) I am not familiar with.

http://brewridgetrail.com/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:50:27 am »
Agree that you are SOL. 

Culpeper is pretty much a beer wasteland (my coworker lives there).  The saying in Culpeper is that "everything is an hour away".  Mike's recommendation of Charlottesville would fit that as would probably heading northeast to Chantilly to hit Dogfish Head.  But Culpeper itself, forget it.
Joe

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »
Thank you both. Turns out you're right. I kind of freaked out when I asked at the hotel desk whether there were any brewpubs or craft beer in the area and they looked at me like they didn't know what the words meant. :o

I ended up walking down the main drag and looking in every window looking for beer. Was worried it was a dry town until I got to The Stable. It's a storefront restaurant, but they have a bar with about a dozen taps. Most were macros, but they also had Flying Dog Raging Beeatch and Clipper City Loose Cannon. Since it was #IPADay, I had some of each. Food was good.

If you go, go early. They roll up the streets at 9:00. ???
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 05:31:03 am »
Once upon a time I had to spend a few days in Altoona, PA for work. Things may have changed since then, but there was a whole lotta nothing there back then. I drove to State College...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!